[3830] SAC SSB OH4A(OH6QU) SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, oh6qu@sral.fi
Subject: [3830] SAC SSB OH4A(OH6QU) SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 12:38:27 -0700
                    Scandinavian Activity Contest, SSB

Call: OH4A
Operator(s): OH6QU
Station: OH6QU

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: Vaasa
Operating Time (hrs): 18.5

   80:
   40:
   20: 1260    80
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total: 1260    80  Total Score = 254,400

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

I do not have competitive antennas for 80M or 40M at my home QTH and therefore I
decided to go for 20M single band instead of being QRT completely. A smart
decision after seeing what happened to conditions on Saturday evening :-)

I have to confess that I had a bit contradictory feelings after the contest.
The first 12 hours were just fun giving more than 1000 Q's whereas the second
12 hours was just a struggle in poor conditions and being able to make less
than 250 Q's. The magnetic storm that hit earth on Saturday evening local time
did boost the propagation to North America for some time but eventually it
caused all bands to die out completely. It took until 06:30 UTC before 20M
opened again on Sunday morning.

Thanks to Lady Aurora's trick I have more than 500 North Americans in my log. A
quick analysis shows that 101 of them gave me 001 as a serial number and 67 gave
002 - that clearly shows the propagation was in favour of a small number of
stations in Northern Finland, Sweden and Norway. Finally some benefits in
living at high latitudes...

Thanks everyone who worked OH4A! QSL via OH6LI (via buro).

Equipment:
Yaesu FT-1000MP
Commander HF-2500/kW
3 x Hy-Gain TH7DX at 10m/22.5m/35m