[3830] CaQP VA7ST SOFixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CaQP VA7ST SOFixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 15:39:20 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOFixed LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    0     0
   80:   44     0
   40:   46     0
   20:   68     0
   15:    5     0
   10:
    6:
    2:
--------------------
Total:  163     0  Mults = 48  Total Score = 23,472

Club:

Comments:

Had a great time as usual in this very well attended contest -- amazing
participation and support by the CA ops. Don't know how SSB bands were, but the
CW bands were hopping with activity.

This was a casual entry for 2006, in and out, working all I heard within a few
minutes, leaving for an hour and working more.

10M and 15M were out of the mix for the most part (5 Qs on 15M, all in the
final half hour Sunday). 80M was hot -- really enjoyed my couple of hours up
there using the high 80M inverted V. 40M was all right but not super.
Ground-mounted vertical played best for me there.

Found 20M better than it was last year, when it seemed all those beams were
pointed due East (me off the side). This year everyone was loud!

Missed  CALA, KERN, LASS, SBAR, SJOA, SIER, SUTT, TUOL, YOLO and YUBA. In the
final 15 minutes (got on for the final rush) landed FRES and KING back-to-back,
and SOLA. Like stumbling across diamonds.

Probably would have found the missing mults in the first few hours, but I was
boring myself silly up the band in the PSK Rumble with rates in the low 10s per
hour till 23:59z Saturday. Force of habit -- can't resist a TARA challenge or
handing out a VE7 mult -- but truth is PSK contesting is frustrating. What a
relief it was to dive into CQP.

Was impressed by so many CQP stations. Curiously, a couple of big signals were
handing out retired county abbreviations -- SDGO and LAX. Still, very
impressive that almost all stations had the new list in place first time out.