[3830] CaQP K6GEP SOFixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, timgep@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] CaQP K6GEP SOFixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 21:37:02 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: K6GEP
Operator(s): K6GEP
Station: K6GEP

Class: SOFixed LP
QTH: Orange County
Operating Time (hrs): 14

  160:
   80:   36     36
   40:   73     45
   20:  131     54
   15:   40     24
   10:
    6:
    2:
--------------------

Club: Orange County ARC

Comments:

This was my first CQP, and had a great time.  If nothing else, this contest
teaches how big a state Calif is, and how many counties there are that
I've never heard of before.

My operating time was limited.  I had commitments on both mornings.

The biggest surprise was the opening on 15 meters.  I probably should
have started out on 15 rather than 20.  I really consider myself more
a SSB contester, but the more operating I did, the more I gravitated
to CW.  As a little pistol, I got beat up on 20 Phone.  That was
the biggest disappointment.  Just couldn't find a clear freq.  There
was the problem of other Calif stations I couldn't hear who were on
my freq (whats that called - Hidden Transmitters?).  40 Phone was a big
disappointment too.  My multiband dipole performed OK on every band
except 75.  My ant tuner just couldn't do it.

Missed KY, MT, RI, VE1, VE2, VE5, VE8
Got NE and NH in the last hour tnx to N0WY and W6PH/1 (Kurt).

I figured out after the contest that AA3B was spotting his Qs on the
DX Cluster.  Tnx Joe!  So thats why I got pileups all of the sudden!
I was holding back my callsign to reduce the pileup by just calling QRZ
, and they still all knew my call!  Thats how I figured it out.

I had asked on the SCCC reflector about what is a good string to send for
CQ.   I shortened it down to CQP DE K6GEP TEST  A few stations just heard
the TEST and fired a ..--.. at me, and I responded with my call to start
the QSO.  People seemed to get the ORAN OK.  On phone I am good at over-
annunciating the "OR-anj", as I have learned from field days here.

Station:

FT-990 100W
Alpha Delta Multiband Dipole as inverted vee at 25 ft
20 meter dipole at 20 feet
N3FJP CQP Log with CW keyer interface (worked great - no QLF!)