[3830] CaQP W6ML(W6KC) SOCntyExp HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w6kc@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CaQP W6ML(W6KC) SOCntyExp HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 22:30:57 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: W6ML
Operator(s): W6KC
Station: W6ML

Class: SOCntyExp HP
QTH: Mono County
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:  145    160
   40:  217    151
   20:  320    334
   15:  134    180
   10:
    6:
    2:
--------------------

Club:

Comments:

This was my 15th consecutive year doing a CQP county expedition from Mammoth
Lakes in Mono County.   Again I used all wire antennasâ?¦dipoles for 40m & 80m
and 3 element wire beams on 15m & 20m.   Usually during CQP I have some kind of
bear encounterâ?¦this year it was one bear and a lot of bees.  When I was
putting up the 20m wire beam, I didnâ??t notice that my sling shot guy line
came down right above a beehive that was in a log on the ground.  I was
standing right on it for a few minutes until I noticed all the bees flying
around my feet.  I was wearing shorts and one of the bees bit me in the back of
my legâ?¦ouch!  At least it didnâ??t swell up.   I proceed with extra care while
I finished pulling up the antenna from that area.  Later in the day I had my
bear sighting, but he was a little one and was too busy eating pine nuts to pay
me much attention.

All of the equipment & antennas preformed well and I kept a pretty good rate
going most of the time.  I even added a handful of QSOâ??s by using my second
radio in S&P mode.  I had over 50 DX calls logged, mainly in Europe plus almost
200 VEâ??s including about 100 VE3â??s...thanks for great turnoutâ?¦Eh.

The last two sections I needed were SK and HI.  VE5XD found me Sunday morning
and literally with one minute left in the contest I found KH6GMP for the sweep!

It was nice to beat my previous Mono County CQP record from 2004 by over 200
QSOâ??s and maybe I can even break into the top twenty for the first time this
year.

73, Jim, W6KC at W6ML
http://www.vistasierra.com/w6ml