[3830] NA Sprint RTTY W0YK HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint RTTY W0YK HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 22:30:16 -0700
                    NA Sprint RTTY Contest

Call: W0YK
Operator(s): W0YK
Station: W0YK

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 4
Radios: SO2R

   80:   53
   40:  112
   20:   52
---------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Loads of fun!  Thanks to everyone who got on.  Still, a lot of Sprint regulars
were missed and it seemed like participation was down overall.  Thank goodness
for the legal dupe rule.

Copy seemed pretty good on all bands for me, but I really struggled to make
contacts.  I've been using ICOM rigs for the last couple of months after
decades of Kenwoods and I'm not at all used to the idea that the operator has
to manually clear RIT.  With Kenwood, the Clear-RIT is programmable in my CQ
and QRZ messages.  As a result, I noticed several times when I couldn't get
through to a loud CQer, that the RIT was 50-100 Hz off due to a prior QSO.

There were undoubtedly other QLF moments.  For example, I'm still over-writing
prior QSO data in WriteLog because I forget to enter it into the log before
typing in the data on a subsequent QSO.  I noticed that a couple times when
people sent "not yet" (less than 3 intervening QSOs since our last contact),
that they aren't to be seen in the last ten QSOs in my log.  Another little
detail for the log checking.

Those of you who submitted your log within minutes after the Sprint ended
(thank you!) were rewarded with an error message from the robot admonishing you
for missing the log submittal deadline!  Shame on you for being so slow.  The
robot spooler program is being edited as I write this and we may even be able
to send you all a more appropriate response.  No need to resubmit your log,
unless you want to change something in it.  The most recent submittal up to the
deadline next Sunday will be used for log checking.

73,
Ed - W0YK