[3830] CQWW SSB AB7E SOSB/40 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ab7e@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB AB7E SOSB/40 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 21:13:41 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: AB7E
Operator(s): AB7E
Station: AB7E

Class: SOSB/40 LP
QTH: Arizona
Operating Time (hrs): 21

  160:
   80:
   40:  118    18       44
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Central Arizona DX Association

Comments:

Fun, but a lot of work.  I prefer CW contests but I had noticed that the
all-time points record for 40m low power unassisted SSB for the 7th call area
was pretty low and decided to give it a shot.  The current antenna here is only
a fixed wire dipole, so I had to scratch and claw for each contact.  The noise
wasn't bad here in southern Arizona but signals during the contest were much
weaker than usual.  I couldn't work very deep into southern Europe and heard
very little from northern Europe, but I was able to eventually get almost
everyone into the log I could hear.  I have a large mountain immediately to the
west of me (check the photo on my listing at QRZ.com) that blocked low angle
paths to Asia, so I guess I'm lucky to have gotten what I did.  Best DX worked
was probably 3V, 6W, and V5.