[3830] CQWW SSB OK5R(OK1RI) SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, sanda@jimaz.cz
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB OK5R(OK1RI) SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 14:49:40 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: OK5R
Operator(s): OK1RI
Station: OK1RI

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: Brezina
Operating Time (hrs): 42

  160:
   80:
   40: 3030    35      143
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 3030    35      143  Total Score = 951,944

Club:

Comments:

ANT 2x5Y full size @52/26m + single el. delta loop.

Once more I went for 40m SB. First day was reasonable propagation, since
midnight quite a bad one. Second night even big guns like W3LPL, K3LR, KC1XX
etc. were sometimes 55. All the others were than not audible at all ! I have
worked only ONE zone 3 station the second night.
At around 1300Z sunday my IC756PROIII emitted huge smoke and even flames were
visible inside. It still played as RX but TX was dead - so I switched it off.
Set up old IC737A but I felt people are calling but I have heard mostly JAM!!!.
So Next TRX came on the TT ORION - I do not like it on SSB - it is horrible but
nothing else left so I had to go with it until the end and I have to say - it
was a difference ! Another problem was I was unable to set voice keyer for
ORION so I had to go old-fashion way with mike only. So this all had cost me at
least 1.5 hour.
Also few storms were near by in total maybe 2-3 hours my receiving capability
was very limited... to say it loud I was deaf.

For some comparison with last year a few "interesting" zones:
zone    3       4       5       14      15      16      17      25      32
2005    16      200     435     960     403     252     63      196     11
2006    56      220     482     1059    482     262     58      120     15

I wonder if the old-new call OK5R helped a bit ? I had a feeling it did. The
"Etalons" big EU MM stations as a rule of thumb made a bit less on 40m this
year compared to last....

With the total score I am well over very old Eu record of 9A1UN from 1992 - the
pre-error checkout era - after last year disastrous UBN check-out I do not know.
I usually do not finish so bad... I was trying hard this year so we will see.
This year my buddy OK1RF will be in CT for CQWW-CW so I will be probably again
on 40m SB - Hope to work you all again.

73 !
Jiri OK1RI - OK5R