[3830] CQWW SSB VP9I(K1XM) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1xm@underwater.org
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VP9I(K1XM) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:01:26 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VP9I
Operator(s): K1XM
Station: VP9I

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Bermuda
Operating Time (hrs): 42

  160:  131     7       11
   80:  163    10       24
   40:  468    17       53
   20: 1375    22       80
   15: 1108    22       91
   10:  187    14       45
------------------------------
Total: 3432   304       92  Total Score = 3,112,560

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Station:  FT-1000mp

Antennas:
160 Inverted-L
 80 G5RV
 40 Dipole
 20-10 Cushcraft A4

This year I had a working voice keyer!

I decided to go SOABLP rather than assisted to see if I could break the country
and zone record. The answer was no.  Conditions were OK Saturday but lousy
Sunday.

I had fewer QSOs on 160 than last year but the multiplier was about the same.

80 was tough.  QSOs and multipliers were down.  I could not work zone 15 (which
I did on 160).  Loud Italians would CQ in my face.

40 was interesting with the new European allocations.  I called CQ on 7147 and
worked a few Europeans, a South American, a couple Canadians, and some W's.
Eventually I listened split and got more W's.

Saturday night I found 7152.5 clear and called CQ.  A European asked me to
please listen down - that's a first!

20 was frustrating.  Look at my QSO total.  Now consider that I never worked or
even heard an LZ or YO.  I worked two Ukraine stations by calling them, and both
QSOs were difficult.  I'd call CQ and loud Europeans would come by and take the
frequency - they couldn't even hear me.  I thought I would have fewer QSOs on
this band than last year but Sunday afternoon I had a US run including a 300+
hour which brought the total up.

I had some good European runs on 15 on Saturday.  Sunday was not as good.

10 was open to the US at the beginning of the contest but nobody was there.  I
caught the European opening Saturday morning.  I couldn't run but I picked up a
few nice multipliers.  The afternoons were frustrating.  I could hear South
Americans running the US but I only heard some of the stations they were
working.  I couldn't get much going for USA runs and found my best rate was
walking up the band calling LU and PY stations.

I also slept too much.

Enough complaining.  Overall it was fun.  Phone is OK when the rate is above
about 100, which it was for eleven hours.  It is more interesting when it is
above 200, which it was for four hours.  And I now have a working voice keyer!

Thanks again to Ed, VP2GE.