[3830] CQWW SSB N4TX SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N4TX SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 10:39:30 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N4TX
Operator(s): N4TX
Station: N4TX

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Hardy County, West V
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   26     5       10
   80:   77    15       45
   40:   83    19       45
   20:  307    28       93
   15:  223    26       68
   10:   82    17       40
------------------------------
Total:  798   110      301  Total Score = 849,537

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

The first full-blown contest with new equipment, new antennas and a new QTH (a
ridge-top in West Virginia).  Therefore, I spent too much time trying things
out by punching through to DX rather than going for rate.

Next project is to get out of paper logs and into computerized logging, which I
hope to have up and running by the ARRL contests.  No time to do it by CQWWCW,
so I'll still be on paper then.  Really slows things down.

A big cold front with extremely high winds ripped across the ridge Saturday
night.  In the dark early Sunday morning I realized that it had gotten harder
to crack pileups, even though the MonstIR seemed to be working normally.  Also,
the paths seemed really skewed.  At dawn, I looked out and discovered the
MonstIR had shifted about 50 degrees from what the control box was reading.
Since the mast was pinned both to the antenna and to the rotator, I'm
surprised.  Need to do some checking.  Spent the rest of the contest applying a
50-degree correction factor.  Inverted Vees for 80 and 160 held up okay.

Best move I made was jumping on the 10-meter opening on Saturday just as it
happened, figuring it might not be there on Sunday.  Worked as far north in
Europe as EI and as far east as Italy and got a ZL, which I consider a fine
opening for this point in the cycle.  And there wasn't a good opening Sunday.

No receiving antennas yet for 160, so I never worked Europe there.  But I did
get E51QMA on 160...but, unfortunately, that was on CW on Monday morning.  He
was loud.

73, Steve
N4TX