[3830] SS CW NM6E Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nm6e@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW NM6E Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 22:12:29 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: NM6E
Operator(s): NM6E
Station: NM6E

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: SF
Operating Time (hrs): 10

------------
  160:
   80:   71
   40:  117
   20:   75
   15:   54
   10:
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment:
Icom 7800
Alpha 87A
M2 KT-36XA, M2 40M1 rotatable dipole, Butternut HF-2V 80/40m Vertical and lots
of ground wires
WriteLog 10.61e, MicroHam MicroKeyer

Well, for not having pledged to the NCCC any points because I just didn't know
how the weekend would play out, I did much better than I had expected, even
with all the other comittments I had to complete.

I started off late, around 7:30pm local,  because of the many honey-do's  I had
to do in preparation for a business trip I am taking early Monday morning to
Buenos Aires (in just a few hours).

I first had to do complete my honey-do's and prepare for my trip, such that I
had to pack my bags and leave the XYL with not many things to do in my absence.
 I started S&P mode for about 2 hours and then decided to call CQ on 40mtrs then
I switched to 80mtrs. I ended up going to bed about 1:30AM and started up again
around 7:30am.   I stopped around 12:30pm because we had to get ready for my
sons 2nd birthday party in San Francisco and also to drop me off at my
overnight hotel near SFO.

Overall, the station played well, but I wish I could have put more effort to go
up to 500 Q's. I never anticipated being able to reach 300+ Q's with my limited
time schedule and a big thanks to the XYL and the kids for giving me the time
to get on. I even had time to make them Sunday morning breakfest (banana
pancakes and mickey mouse chocolate chip pancakes!)

I return just in time for SS SSB, but highly doubt I will be able to get much
time on. I anticipate getting on early Sunday morning just because of the
jet-lag/time difference between California and Buenos Aires.

I had a few "middle-aged moments" using Writelog. I, at times, forgot to press
space bar from the call sign field and pressed F2 (exchange in my setup) and
ended up just sending the guys call without sending the exchange.... I then
noticed the call sign field would 'highlite' in a red square the call sign
field.

I missed ID, LA, ON, MB, SK.

Highlights, VY1JA called me on 20mtrs and a few other last minute mults before
I pulled the plug midday and more importantly, I contributed more than I even
thought would be able to.  I hadn't done SS CW since 2003, right after I
switched groups from Cisco Petaluma offices to Cisco Miami and only had about
150 Q's.

Having spent the last 3 years working in Mexico City for Cisco and struggling
through the 2004 (dad passed a week before SS CW so I wasn't quite in it) and
these 300 Q's were in his memory to do more with the station he helped build.
I know that I can only add more Q's for future efforts with the improving band
conditions.

Now that I am back in the USA and reassigned to my new manager in Buenos Aires,
I find myself heading to all points in Latin America and the Caribbean so when I
can, you will find me on the air from either side of the contest.

Thanks to all the NCCC SS Organizers and I hope my unexpected contribution
helps tip the scale towards the NCCC Team goal.

Javier NM6E