[3830] SS CW K4RO Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4ro@k4ro.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW K4RO Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 08:00:22 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K4RO
Operator(s): K4RO
Station: K4RO

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  265
   40:  277
   20:  172
   15:   58
   10:    0
------------

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

I don't know who that was operating at N0NI, but I suspect
that they cleaned my clock big time. No three-peat for me.
Of course I had to keep plugging away at it no matter what.
You just never know. Sweepstakes is not about quitting for
me. It's my one "big chance" to compete.

The bands were in fine shape, and the station played great.
My new antenna "Nexus" really made a difference. Now I have
to get used to operating with many more options. The hardware
is still ahead of the greyware.  Here's a photo of the switch:
http://www.k4ro.net/k4ro/nexus/K4RO_Nexus.JPG

I didn't get off to a great start, and I even felt a little
rusty for the first hour. I had a footswitch (used for RX
audio focus) fail in the first five minutes, but I managed to
repair it (while still operating.)

Huge thanks to Tree N6TR for updating the TR-Log software.
It worked extremely well the whole contest. I still prefer
TR-Log for serious SO2R CW contesting, and am grateful to
Tree for spending more time with the code.

Heard a zillion NCCC and PVRC stations out, and a good number
from TCG, SECC, SMC and surrounding clubs.  Thanks to everyone
who tried to get a club member on the air for SS.

The toughest moment was when I first tried to work VO1TA.
I called, and got a response. Then there was QRM and then
I fumble-fingered something and changed bands on the radio
accidentally. By the time I got back there was no sign of
Wayne. That led to my most aggressive S&P ever, and four
hours later we managed to connect. Thanks OM, and also
W8IVF/VE8 who was a real shocker!  It's the second time
I've made the sweep QRP.

Thanks to all the CW SS players who make this so much fun.

73

-Kirk  K4RO