[3830] CQWW CW N7ZG SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N7ZG SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 17:40:09 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N7ZG
Operator(s): N7ZG
Station: N7ZG

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: WWA
Operating Time (hrs): 38
Radios: SO2R

  160:   13     5        4
   80:   41    12       13
   40:  121    21       40
   20:  237    28       76
   15:  126    22       39
   10:    5     4        4
------------------------------

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

I got a cert in the mail for first place in the seventh call area last year for
a mediocre effort.   I didn't feel that it was worthy, so I thought I'd crank
things up a notch this year.  Besides it is much more fun.

The numbers are up in almost every category except for a slight decrease in 20
and 10M Q's.   Most notably is the improvement on 40 meters.  The new antennas
are working well.  I spent more time carefully planning, with a focus on mults.
 At the end of the contest, I don't feel that SO2R really helped much.  It did
help to ease the slow times in the chair.  I set a goal of 550 Q's, 175
counties and 100 zones.  It's gratifying that the results line up pretty
closely.

20 was behaving strangely on Sun.  As expected, it never openened as broadly.
However, it seemed to me that it was opening, closing, and re-opening.  Maybe I
was just hallucinating from lack of sleep. 8-).   I had better runs to JA than I
expected with solid 80 hours on both afternnoons.   Good JA activity it seems.
40 just wanted to open to EU, but the conditions would not have it.  There was
some interesting long path both mornings.  Just could'nt work any EU's.  I came
close with S53M but I just couldn't get his attention.   I was hoping to at
least get the fringe of zone 14-18 and maybe 20 - 21.   I did get EA8 and 6W
though.  On 80 is was the usual NA/CA stuff with JA for good measure.  I worked
LA5HE last week for my first over the pole Q.  Too bad the conditions didn't
allow for this circuit.  So I guess I would say that 20 was constraind much
like 15 with the notable exception of zone 14.

A big wind storm kicked up late Sun so I had to crank the tower down an little
early.  I woulda easily bested 600 Q's.

It seemed that 5Z1A practically jumped in front of me to get me to work him.  A
slow day in the pileups I guess.  ;-).   I wish I would have at least heard
5A7A.

Thanks to V37RY for enduring the move from 15 to 20 in fine shape.  Also the
same to KL2R for helping me with zone 1 on 15 and 20.  Sorry I lost you in the
attempt at 40M.  Ended the contest with that one on the table.  I think that
was really the only one I let slip by due to carelessness.  My appologies to
all for the QLF moments.

I had to cut the contest short due to a rare wind/snow storm in the PAC NW.
The tower is not guyed and must be cranked down.  The total Q's would have been
well north of 600 otherwise.

Anyway...

Not sure how this score will play out, but it's one I feel pretty good about.

CU in ARRL DX in Feb.  Looking forward to it.

73 - Guy, N7ZG