[3830] CQWW CW K4XU SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4xu@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K4XU SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 19:37:22 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K4XU
Operator(s): K4XU
Station: K4XU

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 34.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:   50    14       23
   80:  166    22       36
   40:  255    32       84
   20:  533    38      105
   15:  247    26       69
   10:   25    10       14
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Upside:
First time in several years to have THE weekend reserved and uncontested.
Stayed up the whole first night and was very pleased with the LF result. I've
never worked this many countries on 160 in one sitting before. 80m was fun
after about 1AM local when the local noise from plasma TVs and such goes away.
By then the European opening is gone but I can hear much better into the Carib
where all the other mults hang out.
The second radio made no qsos but was instrumental in finding band openings and
extra mults. The solid state amp makes changing bands quick and easy. I'm asking
SandyClaws for an sutomatic bandpass filter so I don't have to swap filters
manually....
Absorbtion on the high bands was pretty bad. 15m had no Eu except CS2 and IR2T.
40M was spectacular as a result. It was interesting to see how the various Carib
stations handled 10m. Even on a "dead" band many were making QSOs by patience,
waiting for a ping of QSB to get the the callers.
The high point of the day was finding a clear spot on 20m and have ST2T answer
my CQ. Interesting to have two zone 34 stations in the log when it's notmally
missing completely. Heard two mults on 40m that I could not work no matter what
I tried - 9N7JO and a JU. This is my Nth year missing zone 22 for a sweep. Tried
for an 8Q7 on 20m but the east coast had him covered. I get a perverse pleasure
from blasting through piles on SE Asian and Pacific mults ...so the score is
even. Zone 26 was always the tough one when I lived on the other coast.

Downside:
Is it just me or are the operating practices of some of the MM/MS multiplier
station ops becoming really obnoxious?  ...calling repeatedly, regardless of
the DX operator's instructions. Just because you're using up CQ-ing time or
might lose your run frequency is no excuse for being an ass. I would not want
my call to be used like that.  Food for thought.

I'm going to bed. The old man is tired.

73,
Dick