[3830] CQWW CW K0TV M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0tv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K0TV M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 04:51:31 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K0TV
Operator(s): K1HI, K1WD, N1ICE, NE1B, NF1A, W1END, W1MJ, W6ZF, WA1LY, K0TV
Station: K0TV

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: New Hampshire
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   96    14       51
   80:  409    29       99
   40:  465   107       30
   20: 1074    34      120
   15:  585    25      108
   10:   44    15       31
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Murphy strikes!

Just before the start of the contest I discovered that there was something
slipping on the 40 meter rotor and could not reliably point the antenna. I got
it set on EU and expected that we would use the four square and the fixed South
antenna for everything until the Pacific started coming in, then I'd turn it and
leave it there. The next day we put the antenna back on EU during the day and
repeated the process.

The middle of the second day, the teltale smell of burning bakelite got us all
going. It turned out to be the L-7 power supply. That put the 20 meter station
at 100 watts. I moved 20 to the 80 meter station but as I was moving it, I
accidentally put the output into the old 20 meter station instead of the
antenna. I'll drop the 756PRO off at the repair shop today.

On the good side, N1ICE stopped by to try her hand at CW for the first time in
a contest. She didn't feel too good at first but gradually got better. Practice
will make her feel better about CW contesting. She'll have to learn that the "YL
Advantage" of at least one S unit doesn't apply on CW.

The important thing is that everyone had a good time.

MVP this time goes to W1END for his first contest using computer logging. Eldon
held down the fort admirably while he was operating.

Good luck to all and 73,

Jerry