[3830] CQWW CW VE6CNU SOSB/20 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE6CNU SOSB/20 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 13:29:28 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE6CNU
Operator(s): VE6CNU
Station: VE6CNU

Class: SOSB/20 LP
QTH: Calgary
Operating Time (hrs): 23

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  782    27       73
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: ALBERTA CLIPPERS

Comments:

This was a great weekend for contesting, as it was -25C and blowing snow the
whole time.  My rotator was very sluggish, but it didn't seem to matter.  I
worked Japan facing east, Europe facing west, and so on.  (NO, my yagi isn't on
backwards, I worked them facing the proper direction too!)

This year's score was up about 50% over my last year's effort, so I shouldn't
complain.  Only differences were my TH6 over my old TH3, one more year of
experience, and better band condx.  Friday night started out rough, as I only
made 25 Q's before 20m folded.  I checked my rig connections several times to
see if I was getting out!  Saturday morning was dreadful, with only a few
Caribbean stations coming through.  I finaly worked a handful of European
stations starting around noon, but they only last a couple hours and I could
only hear the strongest of the strong.  Around 2PM I began to hear more
Caribbean stations, mixed with some JAs.  The band folded again around 7PM.
Sunday got off to another poor start, but around 8:15AM I began to work Europe.
 20m stayed open to Europe for about 5-6 hours this time, but my daughter
insisted I needed to help her with her homework.  I missed the tail end of
Europe, but managed to find a semi-clear freq and run Americans the rest of the
afternoon.  At about 3PM, I went back to S&P and managed to work through a few
huge pile-ups.  I was very pleased to get about 6 or 7 new ones.

Sunday was the most fun I've ever had in a contest, as I managed to get my rate
up to over 100/hr for over 2 hours.  I guess condx were just right and I'm
beginning to figure this thing out.

Congrats to Dan, VE6EX, for an incredible effort (and score) with just a wire
loop around his house (in some tall trees).   Must be the two letter call!

Thanks to all who contacted me and CU in the next one!

Jerry
VE6CNU