[3830] CQWW CW W2PV(@K1RX) M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, mpride@us.ibm.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W2PV(@K1RX) M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 05:45:42 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W2PV
Operator(s): WA1T, K1EP, K1EO, K8PO, K1FWE, NF1R, K1YU, N1IX, K1RX, KF1V
Station: K1RX

Class: M/M HP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  360    19       80
   80:  971    29      112
   40:  955    37      133
   20: 1557    35      131
   15: 1032    29      120
   10:  190    22       61
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

CQ WW CW 2006 Special Event Station W2PV (operating at K1RX)

Team:  WA1T, K1EP, K1EO, K8PO, K1FWE, NF1R, K1YU, N1IX, K1RX, KF1V

It was 25 years ago that the super station, W2PV did their last CQ WW CW
contest in the Multi Multi category.  The crew that assembled this time had
past experience operating at W2PV with a few exceptions.  As recently noted in
the NCJ, the legacy Jim Lawson left us is incredible.  And for the operators
attending this yearâ??s operation at K1RX using W2PV as the call sign â?? it
was an honor to put the then famous call on the air once again!

In W2PVâ??s heyday, the station and construction practices were the state of
the art.  Jimâ??s tremendous level of enthusiasm for the hobby and the contest
operation that always took place here was marvelous.  Jim was a terrific host
with an amazing technical mind.  And the station was the best for interstation
interference, so all the operators back then got a taste of very clean station
- quite a technical achievement of the day.  Now if Jim had been able to
continue his leadership in contesting, and based on some historical evidence,
the score produced in this past weekend would be roughly 22 Meg beating all the
current day big boys!! (My less than perfect Scientific, Wild A** Guess)

The MM operation at K1RX was run with 4 stations (Photos will appear on the
YCCC web site shortly www.yccc.org).  Everything ran well and there were no
equipment failures.  The special banners were placed in front of each operating
position and to spur us all on, our sign maker, K1YU prepared a nice banner to
hang across the back of the equipment.  A very nice, professional job on the
signage, Chris!  Thanks!

Call sign recognition â?? we found it a bit of struggle to get the call through
some of the pileups â?? not sure why but perhaps some were in disbelief that
W2PV was on the air!  Perhaps the team should have advertised a bit more in
advance to generate some attention but this did not happen.  Instead, the team
just put it out there and thought this would be sufficient. We did receive a
few nice comments from Jim's old friends.

Special QSL Card

A special card is being prepared to earmark this event and the plan is to QSL
100% to all stations worked during the CQ WW CW contest for 2006.  Thanks in
advance to George, K2ONP for sending out the cards.  They need to be printed
still so standby.

The Yankee Clipper Contest Club holds the call, W2PV and is used in special
contest related events.

Thanks all for the many, many Q's - what a fun weekend!  Don't forget to read
the full story about Jim Lawson, W2PV in the latest edition of the NCJ.

73, Mark, K1RX