[3830] CQWW CW N7WA SOSB/20 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N7WA SOSB/20 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:52:24 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N7WA
Operator(s): N7WA
Station: N7WA

Class: SOSB/20 LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  398    32       94
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

With the low sunspot counts and the disturbed A, I was looking
at a long weekend running 20M S/B LP from the Pacific NW. So, I set
a goal to practice making the best use of both VFO's on my FT1000MP.
(Since I was single band, SO2R wasn't going to be any more
effective than 2 VFO's and less dangerous to my 2nd rig).  I think I
made some progress as I could essentially set the main VFO on repeating
CQ and find a fair number of other stations in between transmissions.
Even some juicy mult's. I bumped up both the zone and country counts
over last year despite fewer Q's and fewer hours of the band
being open.

My fingers learned some new tricks on the keyboard side (staggering/aborting
CQ's and swapping VFO's) but the ears learned something better -
as I think I enhanced my abilities to identify an interesting prospect
with just snippets of code or the furor of a pileup. The 2nd VFO search isn't
as efficient as doing pure S&P but allowed me to do a few short runs
to JA/Asia and scan the bands as well. My brain is handling the two
audio streams better these days as well.

I think I worked everything I heard. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm
hearing quite enough after listening to another local, Dan/W7WA, work stations
several times (after the band died for me) that I couldn't even tell were
there.
Gonna have to work on that.

73
dink