[3830] ARRL 160 N2WN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N2WN Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 09:26:48 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N2WN
Operator(s): N2WN
Station: N2WN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Grainger County
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 953  Sections = 75  Countries = 13  Total Score = 171,160

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

Rig : Elecraft K2/100

Antennas : ~48' wire Tee vertical (used it for Rx most of the weekend) 295'
coax beverage (helped keep the QRN tolerable, but not the best Rx antenna on
the Top Band, great for 80)

Soapbox :
  Well Friday started off much worse than the Friday before CQ WW DX CW. I
really feel for the folks in the mid West. We had gale force winds. Lost my 83'
vertical around 7:30 AM, snapped the puppy clear in half, and it was working so
nicely... What to do??? Dipole? load the 44' of it that was left? Nahhh, build
a Tee from scratch. 48' tall 150' across the top, close enough, throw a couple
radials out... tunes too low, throw a couple caps in, looks good now, narrow,
but as one would expect. Will it play? Film at 1600Z...

OK, 15 minutes before the show starts, I blow a fuse. Of course, I don't have a
spare here, it's an hour drive back home...but scrounge around and find one that
will work, if I keep the power under 100 watts, so 85 it is, and away we go. The
contest starts and so does the QRN. The big cold front that whacked the mid-west
rolls thru. First two hours or more are hard hearing, even on the Rx antenna. It
passes and all is nice and quiet finally! My rate picks up and the multipliers
are rolling in. Managed to work ALL 50 the first 15 hours.

No joy on a sweep, missing include: PR, MB, NWT (I never heard them) and SDG
and NL (heard both in S&P mode). Funny last year it was LAX missing, plenty of
them this year. Great participation, plenty of states well represented
including the tougher ones. Nice to have LA and MS back in force...

DX was pretty good, although thought it was better last year for some reason.
UU7J was really loud, and had good ears. DX Folks who called me included:
CT1JLZ. KH6ZM and XE2KK. As usual there were some I couldn't pull out. This was
partially due to the fact if you were quiet too long, the frequency was
considered vacant! Tough when you pack everyone into such a small spectrum.

More QSOs, one less multiplier this year, increased my score around 20K,
depending on how the checking goes. Thanks for the intense weekend. See ya in
the Stew.

Cheers, Julius n2wn

Sect          Total         N2WN
              13            13