[3830] ARRL 160 AD8P(@K5ZG) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 AD8P(@K5ZG) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 12:34:13 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: AD8P
Operator(s): AD8P
Station: K5ZG

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Ohio
Operating Time (hrs): 20

Total:  QSOs = 1283  Sections = 76  Countries = 19  Total Score = 251,180

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

This was my personal best I am sure. But then again I can't remember what I had
for breakfast yesterday.

I almost gave up and went home at the start. Horrible noise. I am sure there
will be a "few" busted calls there.

I decided earlier in the week to go single op with no packet. Just like the
good-old-days. 90% of the time I spent calling CQ. Very little S&P. On Friday I
was called by 2 or 3 Europeans but that changed considerably on Saturday. Just
about all the DX were those who called me. At my age sleep is something good so
I went home around 4AM local both nights and didn't stick around to see if I
could manage any VK/ZL or JA opening.

I never heard a station I couldn't work. But I was heard by a few I didn't
work. I agree with another writer that there are a bunch of QRP operators on
top band or antennas in the basements. My apology if you were one of the
several who called and I was unable to pull you out of the noise.

I missed AK, MB, NWT, and PR. Maybe a trip to MB is in order sometime. That
would be fun.

My thanks to Hud for the hospitality even though he was in Philly for the
weekend. He certainly has a very fine station.

Soapbox items: What ever happened to QRL? at least once before pounding a CQ?
It must have happened to me 20 times and I know I wasn't weak in too many
places.
2. If you are running packet and you leave a frequency for 15-20 seconds to
work a spot and I come along and do my customary QRL? 3 times with no response,
where do you get the thinking you still own the frequency?
3. Lots of tuner-uppers.
4. Few klix.
5. Less than normal dupes.
6. My longest running and most favorite contest.