[3830] ARRL 160 K1LT M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@ds.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K1LT M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 13:52:40 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Ohio
Operating Time (hrs): 32

Total:  QSOs = 1438  Sections = 77  Countries = 34  Total Score = 338,550

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

This year I operated the "single op assisted" category, or whatever is
the closest ARRL approximation (multi-op, I guess).  My goal was to
make as many points as possible and to demonstrate my station's
effectiveness, despite the operator.  I missed you, Jeff.  K8ND was
QRV from PJ2T.  Jeff usually operates the late night/early morning
hours when we multi-op, as we have done nearly every year this contest
has existed.

Conditions seemed inverted from the normal ARRL 160 pattern.  Usually
US sunset is a relatively weak time for EU DX, and the time before EU
sunrise is the best time.  This year, the opposite seemed true.
However, the first few hours of the contest were plagued by severe QRN
from a very strong cold front traversing the country.

The storm system blew down half of the elements of my phased array
project, but fortunately (?), the phased array is not yet ready for
use.  I can appreciate WB8JUI's frustration with antennas that come
down immediately before you want to use them.

The second evening sunset presented a very quiet band, and I enjoyed a
small run of EU stations, although I had to resort to ESP in a few
instances.  Jeff never needs ESP, which is another reason I missed his
company.  No matter how much effort I expend on receiving antennas, I
can never hear well enough.

To S50U: sorry that we have a hard time hearing Europe.  I love to
work DX between oodles of W4s, but when the band is busiest, any pause
to listen for very weak signals inevitably results in numerous "?"s
and "QRL?"s on top of the weak signals.  So the listening period tends
to be short.  Also, it is hard to find the right receiving antenna
before the caller stops calling.  I have 15 receive antennas, and I
can't hear anything.  Please accept my apology, but don't stop
calling.

Station: IC765, K8ND's ETO 91B (great amplifier, thanks Jeff!), NA
software.  Transmit antenna is a 65 foot "Tee" top vertical, and 15
assorted Beverages between 500 and 1000 feet.  BTW, the longest
Beverage points at Europe, and it hears more noise that any other
antenna.  Murphy rules.

Where were the PRs?  Also missed MB and NWT.  WAS in 13 hours.  DX:
8P, 9A, C6, DL, EA8, ES, F, G, GI, GM, HI, HK0, HP1, I, LY, OH, OK,
OM, ON, OZ, P40, PA, PJ2, PY, S5, SM, SP, UA, UR, VP2V, XE, YU, YV,
and ZF2.