[3830] ARRL 160 NE9U Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jaspers@powercom.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 NE9U Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 16:05:22 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: NE9U
Operator(s): NE9U
Station: NE9U

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Plover, WI
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 768  Sections = 74  Countries = 1  Total Score = 111,825

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

Well, my original plan for this contest was to fly a balloon out on my frozen
lake in Sawyer County.  However, this cold weather hit about a week too late
and I still had open water.

Plan B:  I got home from work Thursday night and put up an inverted L in the
dark and  10 degree weather.  The vertical portion goes about 45 feet up the
side of my tower and then slopes downward for about 80 feet to height of 20
feet.  I layed 7 130 foot radials on the ground and through my woods that
surrounds my house.  I hope the neighbors didn't see me with my miners hat
light snaking radials under bushes and around trees Thursday night!

Anyway, the antenna seemed to play well.  I could almost work anything I could
hear (I really needed a RX antenna...noise was a minimum s9, but cranked in the
attenuator and played with the IF filter and notch filters and seemed to peak up
a lot of weak stuff).  The only guys who constantly CQ'd in my face seemed to be
the W6's.  I was amazed at the weak guys I would call that heard me first
try...I was used to my old 80 meter loop antenna I have used past two years
where no one could hear me!  I was even able to run much of the time which I
hadn't suspected I'd be able to do.  I'm sure there were a layer of guys I
couldn't hear without a good RX antenna, but all in all I was happy with the
new antenna (it may have to stay!)  (The radial wire came from W0AIH...maybe
there was some of Paul's 160 magic in them!)

I'm hoping to fly the balloon in the CQ 160 contest later this winter...there
should be ice by then!

Missed AK, MB, NL, NNY, NT, and PR.  Only DX was PJ2, KV4, and KH6

Top ten sections:

   1.           Mn   59

   2.           Oh   51

   3.           Il   46

   4.           Tn   35

   5.           Mi   34

   6.           Wi   31

   7.           Va   28

   8.           Ep   25

   9.           In   24

  10.           On   23

Scott  NE9U

        Team/Club : Minnesota Wireless Assn  (Team Nort)

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Mults   Countries

  160CW      768         744       1491      74         1

 Totals      768         744       1491      74         1

    Final Score = 111825 points.