[3830] ARRL 160 K8GU(@NO9Z) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ethan@k8gu.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K8GU(@NO9Z) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 05:46:05 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K8GU
Operator(s): W9SZ, NO9Z, K8GU
Station: NO9Z

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Ogden, IL
Operating Time (hrs): ~24

Total:  QSOs = 1069  Sections = 76  Countries = 11  Total Score = 188,877

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Equipment:

FT-1000MP mark V
TS-930S
(2) Homebrew 1.5 kW amps
100-ft shunt-fed tower
NE/SW unterminated beverage
NW/SE unterminated beverage

Soapbox:

We are somewhat dismayed to report that Murphy is alive and well in IL.  We had
a pretty good first night, ending with 900/75/7 and one broken amp.  After the
second amp gave-up early on Saturday night, we called it quits.

This year, we connected my TS-930 as a "spotting radio"; although, we didn't
use it too much.  It was interesting, though, to park the '930 on the run
frequency and compare what you could hear on the two radios, even though they
were sharing the same RX antenna.  There were many times that one radio could
hear far better than the other; but, this condition would reverse itself
(randomly) from QSO to QSO.  Interesting.

Well, we didn't do as well as last year and Lynn has two amps to repair.  But,
I think I can say we had a good time.  (Paraphrasing N9RV, it's hard to
complain about a contest that provides you with 100+ hours.)

Thanks for all of the QSOs and repeats!  Thanks also to Lynn and Donita for
letting Zack and me crash in their basement and play with antennas and amps we
can't install at home.

73,

--Ethan, K8GU, for the team.