[3830] ARRL 160 W7DX(N9ADG) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, brianmo@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W7DX(N9ADG) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 22:27:18 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W7DX
Operator(s): N9ADG
Station: W7DX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Preston, WA
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 593  Sections = 75  Countries = 8  Total Score = 98,496

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

I was fortunate to be able to use the club call, W7DX, again this year.

Thanks for all of the q's in the contest. Setup this year was a little
different than last year:

2005 - 135' vertical held up with a blimp + 3 RX antenna choices
2006 - 135' long inverted L, about 85' vertical + 2 RX antenna choices, using
trees to hold up the L

Tried to reduce the Murphy effects by cutting down on the blimp-wrangling; I
lost the blimp in the trees last year.  Murphy came in through the logging
program and keyer.. The latest version of N1MM has issues with WinKey under
certain circumstances. If you thought you were hearing 'KEYER GONE WILD!!!'
well, it was, and I was hand sending QSO confirms (straight key) and CQs until
I could get it restarted with the OTHER hand.  This happened too many times to
count.

This year the band seemed more crowded, but also quieter.
Think there were many times that I heard DX before there were pileups.
I perceived that I was having a harder time being heard this year.  Heard a
couple of big stations just start up on a frequency with no ask -- at least
once on top of DX. Not very gentlemanly.

I was mostly diligent in trying all RX antennas after CQs. If I missed you,
sorry. Would be nice to know you tried.

Missed NNY, PR, SFL (Heard N4PB? but was in QSO with another station), NWT, NL.
 Heard but missed: HI, C6, PY7. Very happy with UA9, JA, HK*, XE, VE, P4, PJ2 -
Thanks for your patience!

It was flattering to have some DX call me, thanks! To any station that I worked
twice -- during the contest I jot a note when I'm unsure of that my info was
acknowledged, and try again when the sigs are more solid. In this contest,
there were two instances when I was 80% confident, but I needed to do it again
for sure.

Two pictures this year: http://www.dxmap.com/2006arrl160

See you in other 160m events!

Brian N9ADG