[3830] CQWW CW T88MR(K9NW) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9nw@qth.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW T88MR(K9NW) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 20:23:30 -0800

Rig:
  FT1000MP + VL1000 solid state amp

Antenna:
  10/15/20:  Force 12 C3 @ ~45' on a small hill
  40:  Force 12 vertical
  80:  8 el 6M beam (!)

Logging software:
  WinTest v3.4.5

Not sure if I was able to outwit, outplay or outlast anyone but I can declare
that I am a survivor of CQWW CW 2006 - Palau!

Rewards were many:  Great food, great people, great scenery, great pileups (!)

Alas, I wasn't able to win total immunity and had a few obstacles to deal
with:
  -- Flight delays meant one less day in T88 (and unplanned bonus day in KH2)
  -- In spite of three different 80M antennas, I couldn't get any to work.
  -- Daily lunch time poolside BBQs (50' away...) which weren't to be missed!
  -- One particular snarling 20M EU pileup.

But overall things went well.  All the inside equipment worked flawlessly.
After initially deciding to make it a four band contest because of the lack of
working 80M antennas, the second night I decided there had to be a couple
"local" stations that I could throw a few watts at for at least a couple 80M
mults.  I switched through all my antenna choices just looking for the one that
produced the most noise/signal.  Of all things it happened to be the 8 el 6M
beam.  So I force-fed it with 800W to see what would happen - the amp didn't
reject it so....  First station I called came right back, as did the second,
and the third.  Cool!  Figured that was fun....but for kicks thought I'd try it
again at sunrise.  And a bunch of EU was worked.  Well, you gotta do what you
gotta do.  No such luck, however, for 160......and I tried!

The Pacific may not be the most ideal place to make a large score at this point
in the sunspot cycle but I absolutely love visiting the region.  While it would
almost seem strange to not include one of the CQWWs in a DX trip, I may
reevalute things a bit and perhaps opt for non-contest trips to some of these
neato places, and try shorter trips for contests from more QSO/Mult friendly
locations.  Running the pileups is always a blast.  But then you have to
balance "workin' da boys" and prepping for the contest.  One way or another,
I'll see y'all next year from somewhere.

Palau is a very intesting place.  I hope I was able to add a little excitement
to your contest effort by putting the T88 mult out there.  For now, the tribe
has spoken.....it's time to go and close out another fantastic CQWW event.

Thanks for the QSOs!

73, Mike K9NW / T88MR