[3830] ARRL 160 F6CWN(F6FGZ) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 F6CWN(F6FGZ) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 08:30:27 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: F6CWN
Operator(s): F6FGZ
Station: F6CWN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FRANCE
Operating Time (hrs): 16

Total:  QSOs = 258  Sections = 47  Countries = 0  Total Score = 24,252

Club: LNDX

Comments:

My friend Jeff F6CWN had a frenzied idea. So, that was the start ... He wanted
to try a new kind of Beverage array, a triple wire feeded in the same way of
the 3 vertical array described in John ON4UN's Low Band DXing book. QTH is
north from Rouen in northern Normandy. It is a real killer antenna for F/B
ratio. Eastern Europe stations received over s9 on transmitting antenna were
totally faded out or barely audible. At first try (read one hour before start
of the contest ...) we thought the Beverage feed system was broken since the
band was totally quiet! Fortunately, a G station was heared when sweeping the
band, with a nice S/N ratio !

You can have a look at the "zeekretweepon(tm)"
http://f6fgz.free.fr/ARRL_160_2006/zeekretweepon.jpg

Transmitting antenna was a 19m shunt fed tower. We tried a kite antenna but we
only managed to partially bend the 15m beam that was right into the flying
path, you know Murphy ...

Conditions seemed to be poor on the other side of the Atlantic ocean, lot of
deaf due to WX. Answers rating were ranging from NIL or ? to "SRI QRN" at best
... However, 40 Q's were in the log at the end of the first night after lot of
struggling against QRN for W/VE ;)
Second night was much better with the first night quota logged in an hour. Log
was closed with 258 Q's without west coast, only UT as far west.

I was SO since Jeff just wanted to learn this new band for him. He just
listened and enjoyed ! He wants to improve the system so see you next year :)

--
73 Gérard F6FGZ