[3830] TBDC OR2T(ON4ATW) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, on4atw@skynet.be
Subject: [3830] TBDC OR2T(ON4ATW) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 07:44:32 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: OR2T
Operator(s): ON4ATW
Station: ON4ATW

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 8

Total:  QSOs = 217  Total Score = 649

Club:

Comments:

OR2T @ ON4ATW in the Stew Perry contest.

This yearâ??s TBDC started with a severe storm reaching its peak around
midnight. Wearing a headset, my ears drenched in Top Band rumble, I could hear
the wind and rain outside gusting at 65+ Mph!
More than once I left the operating desk to check upon my
towers and assure myself all antennas are OK. I guess the antennas are
not big enough because they are still in place. (hi) Only one fibreglass mast,
supporting
a elevated radial, hit the ground without doing any damage.
I donâ??t know about conditions on the other end of the pond but here
at my QTH they were marginal and below my expectations! Only 30 minutes into
the contest I had to reboot my computer! The microKEYER didâ??nt want to
key the radio anymore? After rebooting the computer all worked fine until the
end of the contest.
In the early evening hours and around midnight I had a good run within Europe.
TF3KX, ZC4LI, MU0FAL, UA2FF, EA6BF, T94OW/QRP, stand out in the log amongst
other more (weekly) calls.
I had hoped to be able to work some Wâ??s at there sunset but conditions were
really poor. I only heard a
few weak signals and around 0100 UTC I decided to quit until 0500 UTC hoping
find the band in better shape. About four hours later I found myself stumbling
trough the kitchen grabbing a cup of coffee and
of we go for the last leap. Before starting to run I sweep across the band to
find out that conditions only got little better than several hours ago.
VE3EY is the first NA station to answer my CQ and with little trouble
we exchanged reports. With the grayline approaching some of the East coast
stations
started to peak with 579 signals. At 0650 UTC I heard W1BB replying
on my CQâ?¦. the exchange was difficult as the signal was not very strong but
it
made up for the over all poor conditions. At 0745 UTC I pulled the plug, turned
the
big switchâ?¦.. CU ALL next year! 73â?? Happy 2007 de OR2T Theo.