[3830] RAC Winter CF3RCS(@VA3UMP) M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va3sie@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] RAC Winter CF3RCS(@VA3UMP) M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 18:35:13 -0800
                    RAC Winter Contest

Call: CF3RCS
Operator(s): VA3QV, VA3UMP, VE3SBC, VA3CKD, VA3SIE, VA3RKM, VE3WEH, VE3VIG,
VA3TR
Station: VA3UMP

Class: M/S LP
QTH: Bate Island, Ottawa
Operating Time (hrs): 19

  160:   17      9       3         2
   80:   11     37       3         6
   40:   15     26       3         6
   20:   10     46       1         5
   15:    0      4       0         3
   10:    0      1       0         1
    6:    0      0       0         0
    2:    0      0       0         0
Total:   53    123      10        23  Total Score = 46,860

Club: Ottawa Valley Mobile Radio Club

Comments:

C F 3 R C S
(Canadians Freezing - 3 - Real Cold Spot)

And we were!  We operated 19 hours of the RAC Canada Winter Contest
from Bate Island in the Ottawa River.  We set up tarps to break the
wind and we used a propane heater to ward off the cold.  We ran two
radios, an FT-897 and an FT-857.  The FT857 was used on VHF and the
FT897 on HF.  We earned Bate Island a number in the Canadian Island
Award Program (CISA) - Number ON283.

We operated from battery power and the antennas in use were a 275ft
Carolina Windom up about 30/40ft in the trees for HF, a rotate-able
dipole for 6m and a halo loop for 2m.  We operated VHF only for the
C.I.S.A. activation during the first few hours of the expedition.

We all had a great time on the island.  Some of the highlights were
making contact with Garry Hammond (VE3XN), who manages the C.I.S.A.
program. Garry issued us a new island number right there on the air
to much jubilation on the island.  We also made contact with two of
the USA special event stations celebrating the 100th anniversary of
the first broadcast of voice and music over radio by Fessenden.  We
were using the CF prefix to mark the same event.  We also ran a 40m
phone net from the island, that was great fun and we had great QSOs
in the net.   And we had some visitors who enjoyed working some new
contest contacts.

We made contact with other islands as well.  We contacted VE2IDX on
CISA QC-027 Blizzard Island and GM3PPG/P on South Uist, IOTA EU-010
in Scotland.  For many of us, it was our first try at top band, and
we were amazed at how well top band performed.

73 and Thanks! from the Bate Island DXpedition team.