[3830] NAQP CW K4TD Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rnwalker@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K4TD Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 22:55:52 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: K4TD
Operator(s): K4TD
Station: K4TD

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Harvest, AL
Operating Time (hrs): 9.75

  160:    0     0
   80:  263    46
   40:  248    50
   20:  111    39
   15:   49    21
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  672   157  Total Score = 105,504

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Team: Alabama Contest Group #1

Comments:

This is one NAQP that I won't soon forget.  My 80M yagi went out of service
today.  It was taken down off the main tower about two hours before the start
of the contest to repair a broken reflector.  (It will go back up tomorrow
morning)...  To get the 80M yagi down, the main tower had to be secured so it
wouldn't rotate.  Therefore, none of the main 40-10M yagis on that tower were
really available either.  Also, the 160M vertical was put on the ground to
allow the 80M yagi to be lowered.  The only antennas that remained were the
multiplier yagi and two small dipoles for 40 and 80.  I had to abstain from
using SO2R functionality because all the available antennas were on the same
switching system...  What a mess...  I almost pulled the plug, but decided to
give it a go anyway since the NAQP is one of my favorites.  Also, I knew the
ACG guys would be merciless on me if I bailed at the the 11th hour...  :-)

On the bright side, I was fortunate to observe plenty of good operators.  I
want to specifically cite VE7CC and W6EEN for exhibiting good sportsmanship in
the tight spaces on 40M late in the contest; it was certainly appreciated.

The signals were decent on most of the bands I operated (even on 15M).  The
K9AY loops knocked out most of the QRN on 80, and 80 yielded my biggest QSO
payoff.  I called CQ on 10M a few times, but I only ever heard one signal.
That's probably due to the antenna restrictions.  My two biggest surprises
were:  (1) not working GA on 40M and (2) having KH6NF call me on 40M near the
end of the contest.  I never heard ND, SD, NE, AK, UT, NU, NWT, PEI or YT on
any band.

Hope everyone had fun.

73,

Rick