[3830] CQ160 CW K0TV Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0tv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K0TV Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 04:17:17 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K0TV
Operator(s): WO1N N1IW K0TV
Station: K0TV

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 32

Total:  QSOs = 1008  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 54  Total Score = 356,865

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Great contest again this year. Conditions on Topband were great again this year.
Good luck to everyone who participated. Thanks for everyone who called in.

At the start of the contest, we had a high SWR on the off center fed dipole. I
finally traced it down to a bad connector. Thatâ??s going in the hall of shame
here at K0TV. Iâ??m not sure who put it on, but when I finally isolated it,
there was a mass of carbon between the shield and center pin. We ran on the
phased array while I fixed the connector.

The first hour was just fantastic. I made 55 contacts in the first 30 minutes
and N1IW got 66 in the second 30. All told 300 contacts in the first three
hours. Thatâ??s a station best. The first evening, conditions werenâ??t too
good to Europe and there were lots of EU spotted that we couldnâ??t hear or
work until very late. The second night I was spotted by two Europeans who
apparently couldnâ??t get through. I switched to the NE beverage many times but
didnâ??t hear a peep out of EU until much later. Sunday evening we were hearing
EU much better. Finally in the last few minutes, I heard 7X0RY on the spotting
receiver and managed to hear him QRT just after the end without working us.

Biggest pet peeve: Finding a clear frequency (for a few minutes), calling QRL a
couple of times with no answer, starting a run, working a few people and
then��.

HAVING SOMEBODY OPEN UP WITHOUT CALLING QRL JUST 130 HZ UP THE BAND. Then they
have the chutzpah to refuse to move when we ask them to QSY. Grrrrrr.

MVP for this contest goes to WO1N for performance above and beyond the call of
duty. Congratulations Ken.

73, Jerry