[3830] NA Sprint CW NO5W LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW NO5W LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 08:16:58 -0800
                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: NO5W
Operator(s): NO5W
Station: NO5W

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 3.5

   80:
   40:   93     2.5
   20:   36     1.0
---------------------

Club:

Team: Austin Powers Lowfers

Comments:

RTTY or not the CW sprint is definitely the most contesting fun for me from my
small antenna-restricted QTH. It's one RAT race I enjoy being a part of with
all the great CW operators and big DOGS. But I sure am sorry I missed Mike's
horny little QRPup.

I knew the last hour or so was going to be tough since I hadn't had time to put
up the stealth 80M antenna, but I had a plan. About an hour before the start I
opened the metal garage door, moved the Pathfinder out to the driveway, slapped
on and tuned up the HiQ 4/80 mobile antenna and got the laptop and spare IC-7000
all set up in the Pathfinder. The SWR was about 1.2:1 on 80M. Great, I was in
bizness! At about 0300Z I'd dump the log from the desktop onto a flash drive,
sprint down stairs to the vehicle and finish up on 80M.

And that's what I did when 20M faded early and 40M seemed like it had played
out around 0250. Down the stairs, out through the garage, close the garage
door, into the car, start it up for warmth, install the log file, check the
interface to the WinKey and the radio. All systems are go! 80M here I come,
RTTY or not. NOT, holy COW Batman the SWR is out the ruff -- what the heck. Oh
well, its too cold and not enough time to trouble shoot now -- I'll do that in
the morning. Back inside I squeeze out only a dozen or so additional Qs on
40M.

It's morning now and I'm back from the trouble shoot. When placed broad side,
large metal objects interact with small mobile antenna. Let's see now, where's
that copy of EZNEC.

73 and CU in the next one -- RTTY or not,

Chuck/NO5W
Radio: IC-7000
Antennas: 40 and 20M wires @25ft
Software: CQ/X de NO5W ver 1.7