[3830] NA Sprint CW N5DO LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW N5DO LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 09:01:32 -0800
                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: N5DO
Operator(s): N5DO
Station: N5DO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 4
Radios: SO2R

   80:  100
   40:  109
   20:   39
---------------------

Club:

Team: Austin Powers Lowfers

Comments:

After reading N3BB's article in the NCJ, I thought that I could improve on my
operating technique and really use TR correctly as SO2R.  So I read the info on
the TR Log website regarding TR, the Sprint and two radios.  I tried it during
the practice sprint on Friday night and it seemed to work pretty well.  At one
point I answered N6TR's CQ on 40M while I was listening to an empty frequency
on 80M.  As I was sending my exchange to him, I suddenly heard N6TR calling CQ
on 80M.  I was momentarily confused, then realized that this was how SO2R in
the Sprint should work. Full of enthusiasm for my newly honed skill, I started
out the real Sprint using this technique -- and promptly got totally lost.  I
had a terrible start and finally just went back to my old way of doing things.

One good (or bad) thing about operating low power in the Sprint is that you are
not real sure who else is operating LP.  If someone has a higher QSO number, you
can just assume they are HP and keep on going.  With a little over an hour to go
I worked K5AF.  I knew Paul was also LP, so I was interested to see how he was
doing.  He was 4 QSOs ahead -- so I set a goal to try to close the gap in the
last hour.  50 minutes later I heard him and he was 7 ahead and he ended up 8
ahead.  Oh well, I tried!

Again thanks for all the fun.