[3830] ARRLDX CW KE5C SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ke5c@hot.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW KE5C SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 17:49:00 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: KE5C
Operator(s): KE5C
Station: KE5C

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 8:24

  160:    0     0
   80:   30    22
   40:   66    37
   20:   78    43
   15:   32    20
   10:    6     3
-------------------
Total:  212   125  Total Score = 79,500

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I didn't intend to operate but I wanted to see how my friends at V31TP were
doing.  I finally ended up working them on 15 through 80, but a strange thing
happened along the way.  While looking for them, I thought I might as well
search and pounce the strong Caribbean stations with my 100 watts and small
antennas.  That went unusually well, so well that when I heard a few Europeans
on 40 and 80, just for fun, I answered some CQ's only to be surprised by
but I think I finally understand what it means for 40 and 80 to work during the
solar cycle troughs.  My overall rate was only 25 per hour, but that was all
S&P.  Of course I couldn't hear most the stations N5AW was working from his low
power mountain top 100 miles from here, or N3BB with power and towers 80 miles
away, but still, it was the most fun I've had in this contest from my small
station.  I added an automatic antenna tuner for the doublet, so it was very
easy to change from 40 to 80 and back, and I actually used the doublet some on
the high bands too.  This was a great operating convenience - not having to
twist tuner dials.

STATION:

Hygain Explorer-14 triband yagi at 45 feet

Inverted doublet 120 feet end to end, 40 feet at apex, twin-lead fed and tuned
in shack

Ten-Tec Orion I

TR Log