[3830] ARRLDX CW K5NA SOSB/10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5na@ecpi.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K5NA SOSB/10 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:01:13 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K5NA
Operator(s): K5NA
Station: K5NA

Class: SOSB/10 HP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 22

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:  64     28
-------------------
Total:  64     28  Total Score = 5,376

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I wasn't sure what band I would operate on until just before the start of the
contest. I had thought about doing a low-band entry but the WWV numbers didn't
seem very good. So I choose to do 10M single-band instead. 10M was empty and
lonely most of the time, but it had its moments.

Worked only one DX QSO on Friday night (LU1HF) and not another DX QSO until
after 1500Z on Saturday. The band opened then to the Caribbean for a little
while. Then it closed from 1800Z until about 2200Z when it opened again for a
couple of hours before our sunset (0020Z). That was when I had a mini-run of
VKs and ZLs capped by JA3YBK calling in right at sunset. All these Pacific area
pre-sunset QSOs were made beaming to the SW, including the JA3.

On Sunday the band stayed closed until 1727Z when CT9L surprised me by calling
in. An hour later the band opened nicely to the Caribbean again and was open
from 1830Z until 2200Z. But most of what I heard, I had already worked the day
before.

Then the band closed to the Caribbean and I had one more DX QSO with ZL1BYZ at
2234Z. After that I CQed to an empty band until the end.

I did get more reading in and finished one library book by Saturday night and
got half-way through another before the contest was over.

73, Richard - K5NA