[3830] ARRLDX CW N4KG SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N4KG@AOL.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N4KG SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 22:10:37 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N4KG
Operator(s): N4KG
Station: N4KG

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: ALA
Operating Time (hrs): 30

  160:   29    21
   80:  138    61
   40:  219    74
   20:  236    73
   15:  206    63
   10:   14     8
-------------------
Total:  842   300  Total Score = 757,800

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

Due to upcoming surgery, I planned to limit my activity to the Low Bands.  Since
almost everyone I called with 100W came back relatively quickly (except for
Europeans on 160M that I could only hear on my Beverage), I continued without
the amp (and without Packet).

I awoke around 1500Z, 3 hours past my Sunrise.  How 'refreshing' it was to get
7 hours of sleep! I decided to 'check 15M' and of course I was back in the
contest.  I don't recommend waiting until 1630Z to make your first contact on
20M!

Everything was going well until Sunday afternoon when my stomach began to feel
'uncomfortable'.  At 2000Z I had to change operating positions to the commode,
holding a wastebasket to catch my stomach contents.  After that I managed only
a few S&P QSO's before deciding to go to 40M at 2300Z to push my contact total
over 200.  Mission accomplished with 31 Q's in 25 minutes of running on 7009.
Sunday 'runs' (on the radio) sure beat looking for Fresh Meat S&P style!  With
only 30 minutes remaining, I switched to 80M in hopes of picking up another
multiplier to reach 300 total.  Second QSO was in PT7 completing that goal.
Then I had to switch operating positions again.  I finished the contest from
the bathroom.  Next Time maybe I should hibernate for a week before the
contest(s) to avoid picking up something nasty.

BTW, the reason I didn't use packet was because my surgeon told me he would
call 'on the weekend' to confirm the date and time so I needed to keep the
phone line open (no DSL yet in my area). That call came at 9 pm Sunday, 3 hours
after the contest.  So it goes.

de Tom N4KG