[3830] ARRLDX CW N8II SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@AOL.COM
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N8II SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:37:01 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): ~32

  160:   11    10
   80:   72    41
   40:  155    65
   20:  278    74
   15:  182    61
   10:   12     6
-------------------
Total:  710   247  Total Score = 521,664

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

If you heard me struggling to get through a pile-up this weekend,
 there was a reason, 5W does make a difference. QRP requires dogged
 persistence for sure.
  I started off on 20 and had reasonable luck getting thru the
 Caribbean pile-ups considering the DX was new for everyone at that
 point; I also broke KH7X which can be tough early. We were lucky to
 have propagation to about KP4 south. Around 01Z it was down to 40M,
 and I was able to work most of the EU/Carib stations I heard, but
 generally had to wait in line a bit. I heard EA9EU on 40/20/15 during
 the contest, but never managed a QSO. I was doing well enough to
 stick with it. After a short break, I hit 80M at 03Z and to my
 surprise, I could work the loud Europeans of which there were many.
 However, KR2Q was moving up the band along with me and doing at least
 as well. 160 netted KV4FZ and C6.
   Saturday morning was frustrating somewhat, I couldn't run much of
 anything on 20 even high in the band on a very clear freq. 20 was only
 open to northern Eu and Russia well for about 45 minutes centered
 around 13Z. My best rate was 44 Q's/hour mostly on 15M which was only
 open well to the Balkans, I, EA, and F and at times even the Italians
 were weak. Rates were in the 40's 12Z thru 15Z. By 17Z, 20M was
 already well on its way to closing with quite a few open frequencies.
 Western EU hung in there until about 2030Z, but time was better spent
 on 15 getting stations to the south. I kept checking 10M, and heard
 only 1 weak LU mid-afternoon, no QSO. By early afternoon, I had logged
 CN, ZS, 5Z, and 5T5DY on both 15 and 20. 40 was wide open enough by
 22Z to work a few; my best run, about a dozen stations, was around
 2240Z on 7008 kHz, a morale boost. Day 1 ended with 460 Q's.
   The 2nd day was basically scraping the bottom for the scraps all
 the way thru. Signals from Eu were just about the same as the night
 before, quite a few S9 or better, but I really struggled to work
 anyone. There are a lot of poor listeners out there; to maximize
 your score when CQ'ing, you need to listen CAREFULLY, a little tweak
 of the RIT while listening for answers will increase your chances as
 well. When I dump my call in once and the CQ'er has started again
 before I finish, there is a listening problem. I must have called
 30-40 stations with good signals from Eu/SA on 80 with no response.
 160 was a pleasant surprise; I heard a few Eu + CN3A but nobody was
 close to loud enough to get through. The Caribbean/SA stations I
 heard were mostly worked; I hope I helped you with a mult for your
 trouble. On 160 at 0030Z I worked V31YN (really loud), PJ4/KU8E, J7OJ
 and at 0300 WP3C, HP1XX, ZF2AM, and P40W. Also at 1130Z worked KH7X
 and NP4A. I thought I was pretty lucky breaking the pile-up on VK9DNX
 on 15 Saturday afternoon (about S4), then I made it thru on 80 around
 around 1145Z, great Rx set-up and ops, thanks! The 12Z hour netted
 only 17 Q's on 20, S&P, I kept finding all the stations I had worked
 already which was true all day. 15 never opened quite well enough to
 run stations, but slowly yielded Q's and new mults in southern Eu. It
 was better than Saturday and around 15Z, there was a brief opening to
 northern Eu allowing me to catch SP, RK2FWA, SF0F, and YL7X. Around
 1730Z, a few G's were finally heard with loud signals along with EI7M
 and EI/W5GN about 300 Hz apart, and GW3NJW. Finally at 1850Z, 10M
 opened, but to the west, not the south as expected. Bagged NH6P
 working split and KH6LC was loud but too busy. W6's and 7's were heard
 in abundance. Just after 19Z, the LU's started coming thru; I worked
 5 in about 10 minutes. It wasn't until 1940Z, that HP1XX was logged.
 Condx were best around 1930Z when there was a somewhat weak opening
 to P40W, 2 PY's (loud), and PJ2T; HK couldn't hear me. In the early
 afternoon polar condx were quite good. I logged SM2CEW on 15 and heard
 KL7WV. JA8RWU was LOUD around 19Z and for some time after, but a
 disturbance seemed to ruin things 21Z and later when the JA's got out
 of bed, worked no more. There were loud OH's on 20 and I found TF3YH
 for a mult. 21Z onward was painfully slow. At one point while scanning
 40, I must have heard 15 or more stations in a row that were already
 logged. I had no luck running.
   Many thanks for the Q's and struggling to work me. 20M condx were a bit
disappointing, but 80 was in good shape both nights and 40 stayed open to
central and southern Eu all through the Eu night. I had to repeat
 my exchange countless times (WV is still ringing in my head!); some
 of the repeats were stations already logged on another band; trust your
 computer, or least use it as an aide please. Operating in the S&P mode
 allowed me to observe several bad habits which only slow things down
 for everyone. First and foremost, don't keep calling if the DX has
 replied to partial call. J37T was doing his best to work people when he heard

 my N8 prefix calling; after 3 attempts to pull me thru the out of turn
callers, he QRT'ed. A local KI4 who couldn't send his call well at all kept
calling and calling on numerous stations. Don't send BK; that went out in the
70's. Don't repeat more than twice unless the DX has failed to copy at least
twice. A string of R's is also pretty wasteful of time. You can really separate
out the good ops from the poor operating QRP. High marks go to VK9DNX, P40W, and
DD2D who heard me well every time!

 73, Jeff