[3830] ARRLDX CW 6Y1V(KY1V) SOSB/80 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, david@vp5x.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW 6Y1V(KY1V) SOSB/80 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 11:09:44 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: 6Y1V
Operator(s): KY1V
Station: 6Y1V

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH: Jamaica
Operating Time (hrs): 20.7

  160:
   80: 1397    59
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total: 1397    59  Total Score = 247,269

Club:

Comments:

This was my first ARRL CW contest in more than 15 years. While I had a great
time, I was surprised at the lack of participants to work.

So, you want to break a world record, huh?

First, you have to build a world class contest station. A fantastic radio with
an awesome receiver, an excellent antenna, a very good operator and a fantastic
location...those seem to be the key ingredients.

I thought I had all the key ingredients, well at least the radio, antenna and
location. The operator part was to be determined.

Using an IC-7800, an Acom 2000A and a four square at 850 feet ASL on Jamaica's
northwest coast seemed ideal. If I could just push myself I would set a new
world record. It hardly seemed difficult!

The world record for NA DX on 80 meters was set in 1997 by N4BA as C6AKQ. His
record of ten years is 255,765. By my calculation, working all 63 mults, that's
only 1364 Q's. No sweat! Even if I only work 60 mults I would need only 1420
Q's. Heck I worked 2741 Q's on 40 meters in the CQWW CW and I really didn't put
much effort into that contest.

I was very optimistic!

The first night was great. I worked just under 1000 Q's and had 57 mults even
though I ended the morning early going to sleep at 6am. I was well on my way to
a world record.

The second night started well. I managed to work a single North Dakota station
and one Manitoba station. Having worked only one each, my mults were fragile,
but I was confident in mkaing enough Q's to overcome the loss of one of those
mults. I now had 59 mults and even if I didn't work LAB, NU, NWT and YK (which
I never did), I only needed 1471 Q's to break the record. EASY RIGHT?

Not at all. I called CQ until my finger hurt from pressing F1. The headphones
were starting to irratate my ears and the constant ringing of TEST 6Y1V was
annoying. Over 11,750 CQ's were made from 6Y1V. I was receiving reports that I
was 20, 30 and sometimes 40 DB over S9 into the states...all of them, yet no
one was answering my CQ's.

What went wrong? My well concevied plan was suddenly becoming unreachable. The
hours ticked away, one by one, and my rates fell to levels that would leave any
man bored to tears. I ended the night with over 1300 Q's. A huge
dissapointment.

But wait, I still had Sunday evening. I could still make another 140 or so Q's
right?

I started early on Sunday. Calling CQ at 3PM in the afternoon. Quickly I worked
a Florida station and was filled wsith hope. Then...nothing...and more nothing.
I called CQ for 4 hours straight. In the first 3.5 hours I managed 16 Q's, 9
were dupes. Ugh! The last 15 minutes I managed to work another 20 or so
stations, even then, I was constantly sending QSO B4 as the dupes continued to
call me to be sure they were in my log!

I ended with only 1397 Q's and 59 mults...8,496 points shy of the world
record.

I was in dispair. What went wrong? Is it lack of participation from US
stations? Was it my frequnecy of choice? I owned 3532MHz and had a quiet
channel to myself the entire weekend, only occasionly running off a few EU
intruders! Did I end my morning too early the first night?

I don't know why I couldn't find more stations to answer my repeated pleas
(CQ's) for contacts, but it was very discouraging. I even question whether or
not I chose the right band. Surely I could have done better on 40 meters with
the stacked 3/3 MonstIR's, but then I would have operated round the clock as 40
never closes to the US from 6Y, at least not with full sized yagis.

Oh well, perhaps next year. My hat is off to N4BA. Your record will stand at
least another year. Congratulations.

I also extend congratulations to FM5BH whom posted an excellent score as well
as PJ4/KU8E who appears to have set a new NA record for 160 meters. Well done
Gentlemen!

In closing, thank you to everyone whom took the time to give me a brief
contact. I had a great time and I hope to see you all in the ARRL SSB in
March.

73,

David ~ 6Y1V