[3830] ARRLDX CW C6AWL(RA3CO) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW C6AWL(RA3CO) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 01:14:32 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: C6AWL
Operator(s): RA3CO
Station: C6AWL

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Bahamas
Operating Time (hrs): 42

  160:  337    53
   80:  629    57
   40:  683    58
   20: 1275    59
   15:  436    51
   10:   59    24
-------------------
Total: 3419   302  Total Score = 3,097,614

Club:

Comments:

First ARRL from the Caribbean. Lots of work to haul all the equipment, antennas,
aluminium telescopic mast, coax, etc from Moscow. BA staff at the check-in in
Moscow was not impressed with 140 kgs of baggage. But lots of fun in the end.

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday morning spent installing an RR33 (www.quad.ru) -
a wire beam with 3 el for 20-15-10 on a 10m telescopic mast, a 16m tall vertical
for 80m and a selection of low wires for 160 and 40. The wire beam would not
resonate in the bands prescribed, the SWR was at around 2 - 2.5 on all bands.
Did not have time to take it down and fix it.

Was very tired going into the contest with the jet-lag and all the antenna
work. Lots of fun in the first 24 hours with an average rate over 100/hour
which I thought was not bad for an LP with semi-cooked antennas. Best hour was
187, the first run on 40 meters. A lot of CQing in the second 24 hours and less
than 1,000 QSOs in the second day.

Propagation was funny on the high bands. 10m would open both days to the West
Coast and to W9 although activity was marginal. Several W4s made it in a very
short skip in the first day.

It was very frustrating to hear Eu and South America run on 15 when all I got
was a pipeline to MN (almost 30 QSOs on 15m!), W9 and West Coast. Second day
opened briefly to the very North-Eastern tip with a string on W1s from MA, Me
and (possibly North) NY worked in avery short time frame. Heard several big gun
stations from the East Coast that were S6 on the meter but couldn't get through
with LP.

Overall I am pleased with the result all things considered. Not sure if it will
be possible to use the location going forward but reception was extremely quiet,
especially on the low bands, even heard a number of JAs on 160 on my IV 9 meters
above the ground!

Thanks to all who called in and congratulations to P49Y for an amazing score.
Special thanks to my wife for all the help and patience.

Equipment: Icom 775 @100 watts
Antennas: IV 160m, 1/4 wave Vertical 80m, IV 40m, RR33 20-15-10m

Dimtiri
C6AWL, RA3CO