[3830] ARRLDX SSB K9ES SOSB/80 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K9ES SOSB/80 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 16:28:07 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K9ES
Operator(s): K9ES
Station: K9ES

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH: SFL
Operating Time (hrs): 23

  160:
   80:  360    80
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  360    80  Total Score = 86,400

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Radio - IC756 Pro-2, Ameritron AL572 1KW
Antenna - 4 Square (see http://k9es.painloss.com/index.htm), high folded
dipole.  (K9AY loop was not working)

This afternoon was almost a total waste for QSO's but did work VP2V and 5N2 for
additional countries.  VP2VW showed up (first VP2V in the contest), and was into
rag chewing (a 100 watt station IC746 with a G5RV at 45 feet, and the
temperature was 82).  It was funny listening to the mess.  All he wanted to do
was QSO, and everyone tried to gather the necessary input for the contest
politely.  What a feeding frenzy.  But I had that advantage.  Worked Paul
PA0GMV at 5:15 PM (1 hr before sunset), so I had a good signal to Europe.  The
problem was the new blood on the band couldn't start working Florida til about
10 minutes before the end of the contest.  The New England guys really have
that advantage being 1000 miles closer.  From my perspective, the rest of the
stations from Europe, Africa, and Caribbean were already worked.

Had several good runs Saturday night and Sunday morning.  ZL's were worked
starting at 0515Z, and JA's were workable at 0730Z.  The 4-Square really plays.