[3830] ARRLDX SSB HI8/NM6E SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, javierca@cisco.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB HI8/NM6E SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 18:36:57 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: HI8/NM6E
Operator(s): NM6E
Station: HI8/NM6E

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Dominican Republic
Operating Time (hrs): 1.5

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:   8      8
   15:  42     17
   10:
-------------------
Total:  50     25  Total Score = 3,750

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Rig: K2 SN#4409
Power: 5 Watts battery powered.
Antenna: MP-1 modified antenna
Location: Hilton Santo Domingo pool area

Well, this was my first time ever for a "contest" outside of the home station.
Fortunately, I didn't have to pay for this contest/dxpedition as I am here on a
work assignment so my operating was totally casual the last few hours of the
contest.

I only heard N6BV on 15m but no chance at getting him as my 5 watts would be
tough.

I was fortunate enough to work a few east coast stations who spotted me and I
had a decent run rate of east coast stations for my 5 watts and wet noodle
portable vertical antenna.

The caribbean stations and South Americans were pounding my rig and it made me
wish I had my home rig (IC 7800) to notch them out and antennas.

Overall, I had a fun 2 hours or so.  I had to work Friday night and then on
Saturday went diving (bad experience) and killed my entire day.

Sunday had to work some more and then in the late afternoon, finally had time
to get on the air.

I will be here another 2 weeks, then again in late April and May for more
network expansions the customer is planning so maybe I hook up with the locals
at the big contest station HI3C/HI3T.... I have made contact with the big dxers
(thanks to those NCCC members for the information).

I am thinking of upgrading to 100 watts for the next few trips but any tips on
the proven dxpeditions and operating at Hotels would be helpful from those of
you with some experience.

Javier HI8/NM6E