[3830] ARRLDX SSB VE4EAR SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB VE4EAR SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 20:20:46 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE4EAR
Operator(s): VE4EAR
Station: VE4EAR

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: Winnipeg
Operating Time (hrs): 22

  160:    0     0
   80:   14    12
   40:   45    32
   20:  119    61
   15:   52    26
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  230   131  Total Score = 90,390

Club:

Comments:

My first attempt at this contest. Very frustrating to say the least. Knowing
that I wasn't going to be competitive, my goals were to work as many new
countries as possible, give out a VE4 multiplier, and have fun.

It was frustrating to hear the east coast stations working the European
stations during the morning and the west coast working into asia and Japan at
night on 20m. Other than a couple JA's, I couldn't be heard over the KW crowd
and QRM.From VE4 land almost all the DX is 2 hops so windows of opportunity are
slim.

My highlight came on Saturday evening when everybody seemed to vacate 20m just
as we went into greyline. I then was able to work JT1C who was calling and
calling and was getting few replies. I then was able to grab a few Asiatic
Russian stations as well.

When dealing with low power and wire antennas, it pays to watch the propagation
trends and try and take advantage of these as much as possible.

The most frustrating times are when the DX station was calling and calling with
no one answering, and he doesn't hear you!!! Must find some more gain
somewhere!

All in all, had a great time, added a couple new countries, gave out the VE4
multi, and hopefully demonstarted to the XYL that we need to install a tower
and beam this summer.

73

Ed / VE4EAR