[3830] ARRLDX SSB AH7ZA(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB AH7ZA(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 06:26:48 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: AH7ZA
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: KH6SQ

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Maui, Hawaii
Operating Time (hrs): 38

  160:    0     0
   80:   57    18
   40:   31    14
   20:  118    20
   15:   73    27
   10:    3     1
-------------------
Total:  282    80  Total Score = 67,680

Club:

Comments:

Rig at KH6SQ:

Yaesu FT-1000 MP with output set to 5 watts

TH7 tribander at 60 feet
Cushcraft tribander at 32 feet
2 el 40 M yagi at 63 feet
1/4 wave sloper on 80 M

Yes, it was tough doing QRP from KH6 at the bottom of the cycle but it was
still a lot of fun.

It was common to have stations with good signals continue to call CQ in my
face. There were several hours that I made no contacts at all and several other
hours where I made only 2 or 3 Qs.

But there were several exciting moments.  On Saturday I went to 10 meters from
time to time and called CQ wondering if anyone would hear me on what seemed to
be an empty band. After many attempts, suddenly there was K9YC on the coast of
California calling me back with a great signal! He spotted me and I wound up
with two more California Qs. But nothing worked on Sunday, and that was 10
meters for the entire contest!

Early Sunday morning, I followed the sunrise gray line across the USA and was
amazed to work several stations on the east coast and mid-west on 80 meters
with my 5 watts and quarter wave sloper.

And it was fun reading my DX-Summit spots afterward and seeing the comments
about my QRP signal.

To summarize, I have never worked so hard for so few Qs! And yet, I'd do it all
over again.

Thanks to Terry and Donna Clayton for their fine hospitality and the use of his
station at KH6SQ!

Bill Parker W8QZA - AH7ZA