[3830] ARRLDX SSB VY2TT(K6LA) SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB VY2TT(K6LA) SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 16:55:47 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VY2TT
Operator(s): K6LA
Station: VY2TT

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: PEI
Operating Time (hrs): 15
Radios: SO2R

  160:   27    24
   80:   58    40
   40:  137    48
   20:  704    64
   15:  209    67
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 1135   243  Total Score = 827,415

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was a major disaster. The biggest disaster occurred in the 1800Z hour
during the Saturday AM 20 meter run. Things were going great and I'd just
finished a 180 hour, when the computer crashed. I brought Writelog back up and,
as it should, it told me it had a temporary file with QSOs in it. I started
running again and after  a little while got the same error. I brought Writelog
back up and imported the temp file, but this time I noticed no increase in my
score. I went back and checked and the early crashes' QSOs had not been brought
in. Whoops, about 300 QSOs gone, and so was my spirit and competitive desire.

What had caused the crash was running out of disk space as I was recording the
contest, wasn't using a particularly high compression codec and hadn't removed
previous recording.

It had started well. The broken 40m yagi had been fixed, and although it
wouldn't rotate, it was pointed at Europe. It lasted about 45 minutes before
the snow, cold or wind knocked it out again. Speaking of snow, it has snowed
often when I'm contesting in PEI, but I've never heard snow static like this.

73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT