[3830] Commonwealth ZL6QH(ZL1AZE) Open HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, brianmiller@paradise.net.nz
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth ZL6QH(ZL1AZE) Open HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 02:27:27 -0700
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: ZL6QH
Operator(s): ZL1AZE
Station: ZL6QH

Class: Open HP
QTH: ZL
Operating Time (hrs): 22

------------
   80:   83
   40:  212
   20:  177
   15:   30
   10:    5
------------
Total:  507  Total Score = 6,530

Club: WARC

Comments:

Conditions were not good, possibly the worst that I have experienced since I
started entering this contest from ZL6QH. Fortunately the poor conditions were
more than offset by additional VK/ZL activity associated with the team contest.
It turns out that the raw score of 6530 is the best that I have achieved since
2002, mainly due to the extra bonus points from VK and ZL stations.

As expected for this part of the solar cycle, the 10M band was lifeless,
although I was pleasantly surprised to find and work VE7CC at 2315z. The only
other QSOs on this band were with local ZL stations.

The 15M band was not much better with DX QSOs being limited to the South
Pacific area, a few VE stations, VU2UR, and ZC4WJ (1st QSO in the log at the
start of the contest). I could not find any  trace of G signals.

Even 20M failed to deliver this year. The short path opening to UK on Saturday
night was not as good as usual and closed early. Neither the long path nor
short path to UK opened properly on Sunday evening although I did manage to
work a string of very weak G stations using ESP techniques! The path to North
America was also marginal with only 20 VE stations making it into the log on
this band. The good news is that the short path to Africa was open around 0530z
and it was relatively easy to add 9J2BO and 7Q7BP to the log.

Most of the action was on 40M. The first QSOs with UK via the short path on
Sunday morning were with GM3POI at around 1505z and then with G4BUO a few
minutes later. I did hear ZS/G3LZQ with a weak signal around 0530z but
unfortunately he followed a QSY request to 80M before I could attract his
attention :-(

Conditions on 80M were fair but plagued by strong atmospheric noise which made
it difficult to copy weaker signals. Some of the better catches were V25XF,
VP8NO, VP8KF and  J88DR. The Sunday evening long path to UK is normally more
reliable than the morning short path but this year the morning seemed to be
more productive. I ended up logging 18 G QSOs in the morning and only an
additional 8 in the evening - GM3POI was first in the log around 1635z

The poor conditions on the high bands made for slow going during the day and I
found myself dozing off on several occasions. Jet lag from a trip to EU a few
days earlier did not help! Anyhow it was a still a lot of fun and I hope to be
back for more in future years. However I may not be active next year as it is
very likely that ZL6QH will be QRX while a wind farm is being built on the
site.

Thanks to RSGB for running the contest, Bob G3PJT for initiating the team
event, Frank ZL2BR for organising the ZL team, the Wellington Amateur Radio
Club for the use of the ZL6QH station, and to everyone for the QSOs.

Equipment:
FT1000MP radio + Drake L7 amplifier (500W) + Writelog logging software.

Antenna farm:
80M 1/4 wave vertical
80M sloping dipoles (supported from 40m mast)
20M 5 el yagi beams for NA and LP to EU
15M 5 el yagi beams for NA and EU
10M 6 el yagi beams for NA and EU
Vee beams with 300m legs for NA, EU, LP to EU, and LP to NA (all bands)
Rhombic with 200m legs, switchable between SP and LP to EU (all bands)

See www.zl6qh.com for more information about the ZL6QH station.