[3830] OkQP W5L(@W5LE) Rover-Assisted LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] OkQP W5L(@W5LE) Rover-Assisted LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 16:18:29 -0700
                    Oklahoma QSO Party

Call: W5L
Operator(s): W5LE & N6MU
Station: W5LE

Class: Rover-Assisted LP
QTH: 35 Counties
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------
Total:    1498     239  Mults = 73  Total Score = 362,956

Club: Oklahoma DX Association

Comments:

This adventure started in January when Gene, W5LE, invited me to join him in
celebrating the OK Centennial by roving with a 1x1 call in the OKQP. I gladly
accepted. In 2003, Gene and I were part of the K5CWR mobile multi-op team that
set a TX Party record that will be hard to beat.

Gene picked me up at the Tulsa airport Friday and we immediately headed for El
Reno to spend the night before starting from GRA. A side note about our route.
A friendly rivalry developed between Gene and Jerry, K5YAA/K5Y, to see who
could operate from all 77 counties during OKQPs. Gene needed 28 counties this
year to make it happen and that was our route going in. Turns out it went so
well we added seven more Saturday and ended up the first session about a mile
from Gene's house having activated 25 counties. Don't you just love it when a
plan comes together? How did K5Y do? You'll have to read his posting to see how
nasty Murphy can get. Bottom line, Gene did it, Jerry didn't.

The weather was terrific, the roads excellent with no traffic and we had no
rig/vehicle problems. It doesn't get much better than that and the results show
it. We activated another 10 counties Sunday finishing in LAT. Thanks to all
those who worked us many times. Each new county brought a huge pile with all
the same guys. We had their calls memorized. There are too many to list but you
know who you are. Top DX was VP2E who was everywhere with a big signal. We
missed WAS by three (HI,LA,ND) and found 21 OK counties. You'd think it would
be easy to work in-state on 40 but such was not the case. Other OK signals were
weak and tough to find.

A highlight for me was after the contest when I got to have an eyeball with one
of the good guys, Jerry, K5YAA/K5Y, and his wife Carol, K5YAB/K5H, who we met in
Wilburton. Gene took me to the airport Monday morning and it was all over.

A special thanks to Gene and his wife for hosting me.

QSL W5L to W5LE.

John, N6MU with Gene, W5LE/W5L