[3830] BARTG K0RC SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0rc@pclink.com
Subject: [3830] BARTG K0RC SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 20:59:17 -0700
                    BARTG Spring RTTY Contest

Call: K0RC
Operator(s): K0RC
Station: K0RC

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: MN
Operating Time (hrs): 26.5

   80:  107       3         16
   40:  139      12         15
   20:  365      52         24
   15:   11       9          2
   10:    0       0          0
-----------------------------------
Total:  622      76         57  Continents = 6  Total Score = 496,356

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

I don't think the propagation could be any worse unless the Sun shut off
completely! I did manage to increase my total QSO count by 50% compared to
years ago when I operated BARTG HF from the W0AIH contest site. I attribute
this progress to more RTTY operators and improvements in technology. It
certainly doesn't have anything to do with my meager antenna system or 500 Watt
IC-2KL amplifier compared to "The Farm".

I was hoping for a second day to run Asia stations but that didn't materialize.
The only opening started Saturday about 2230 with JA6ZPR and closed with 7L4IOU
at 0031. I saw a VK4 spotted but could not hear the station. Likewise 9M6XRO,
VR2XLN, and E21YDP would not grace my log this weekend. I did work all JA
districts except JA7 and JA8.

I am thrilled to see how well the Twin Peak Filters in the Icom IC-756 Pro III
work on RTTY. Signals that were inaudible were pulled out of the noise and
decoded for solid contacts. The residual RX noise takes some getting used to,
but when I turned the function off and the signals disappeared, I learned to
live with the extra hash. Nice job Icom!

Ten meters was a joke and 15 meters provided no joy. It's demoralizing to pop
to the band and see all kinds of spots listed but not being able to hear any of
them. I quickly scanned the band and put a few calls into the log for the extra
multipliers. I worked 3 Europeans on 15 meters, 9A5W and 9A7R in Croatia and
LZ8A in Bulgaria. There must have been a propagation tunnel into this area
because these stations were very strong while no other EU signals were ever
heard. I remember when I used to run Asian stations on 10 meters at the
beginning of this contest (8:00 PM local time) during the solar peak!

I worked K0KT on 4 bands although our 15 meter contact was almost by ESP. There
are 448 unique callsigns in my log with 38 3-banders, 95 2-banders, and 314
single-banders. Countries representing 10 or more contacts include K, VE, I,
DL, JA, G, and OK. I logged 53 DXCC entities over the weekend. I worked 18 of
the 40 CQ Zones with 20 meters supplying every one of them.

I look forward to better propagation for the BARTG HF Contest in the years
ahead.

73 de Bob - K0RC in MN