[3830] WPX SSB P49Y(AE6Y) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, andrew.faber@gte.net
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB P49Y(AE6Y) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 09:57:00 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: P49Y
Operator(s): AE6Y
Station: P49Y

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Aruba
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  206
   40:  341
   20: 2346
   15: 1086
   10:   16
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Not the most enjoyable outing, primarily due to high noise levels, including
power line or other man-made noise that made 15 very difficult to use, plus
high atmospheric noise on 40 and 80.  John Crovelli (P40W) and I were hoping
for rain to wash down the power lines, but it didn't rain until Monday morning,
about 3 days too late!  I found the contest itself difficult, mainly due to the
noise levels and also the lack of 10 meters.  My measly 16 QSOs on 10 contrasts
with my first DX WPX experience, at ZF2AF in 2002, when 10 produced 3000 QSOs!

  Nonetheless, it is always fun to operate from Aruba.  More than a day was
spent in antenna repairs, primarily assisting John on our 20/40.  One of the
40m elements had come loose and we had to tilt the antenna and put in some
bolts to hold it.  Sounds straightforward, but it was a lot of work,
particularly in the constant wind.  Our antennas seem to be close to reaching
the end of their useful life, having been struggling with the Aruban air for 8
years now.  One nice feature of the island is that, I guess by necessity, all
the local hardware stores have excellent stocks of stainless steel nuts and
bolts.

  The only other off note this weekend was conflict with the CW guys on 40.  I
found a clear spot at 7025 Friday night, but was repeatedly jammed by CW ops
sending CQ and QSY.  Then, to make matters worse, they even jammed my listening
frequency! CW guys often claim to be of a higher moral standard than phone ops,
but this was simply malicious interference.

  As usual, the ham community is very welcoming on Aruba, and this short trip
featured visits with Jean-Pierre (P43A) and his wife Chris (P43C), Jackie
(P43P), Martin (P49MR),  Randy (P43W), Lisandro (P43L) and his wife Lissette,
and of course John (P40W - W2GD).

Equipment: 756 Pro2 X2, Alphas 87A, 86
Ant:  4 el 10-15-20, 2 el 40, inv. vee 80, beverages
Software: CQPWIN ver. 10.6

73 and thanks for the Qs,
  Andy, AE6Y, P49Y