[3830] WPX SSB N6WG SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6wg@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB N6WG SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 16:43:30 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Newark CA
Operating Time (hrs): 25

------------
  160:    4
   80:   30
   40:   28
   20:   56
   15:   25
   10:    3
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

After more than a week of zero sunspot days, I came into this
contest with really low expectations and a lot of worry.  I
figured if I could wrestle 100 Qs out of this mess and maybe
10K points, I'd be doing well and could retire from the field
with my dignity intact :-)

Well, it wasn't as bad as I expected, but not a whole lot
better either.  When the dust finally settled, I found I had
exceeded my expectations with 146 Qs and 22442 points.

I had two 6 pt Qs (Hawaii on 75 ssb), eight 4 pt Qs (seven
VE and one KL7), twenty 3 pt Qs (a mix of South America, Japan,
Hawaii and Australia), nine 2 pt Qs (Central America, Carib'n
and VE), and then 107 1 pt Qs from all call areas of the
continental US.

The expected influx of JA stations didn't really show up this
time.  My 6 JA Qs were in the first six hours of the contest.
I heard them weakly the next day, but they were few in number
and none that I had not already worked.

I was able to maintain my tradition of actually working all
bands, with 4 Qs on 160m, 30 on 75m, 28 on 40m, 56 on 20m, 25
on 15m, and 3 on 10m.

My wire antenna farm worked as well as conditions would allow.
For WPX I put a 54 ft doublet oriented on JA, more or less.  It
helped on 20 and 15m.  The antenna that really pleased me was
my 160m top loaded vertical.  I used it on 75m as a top-loaded
half-wave vertical with good results.  I was surprised when some
more distant statins actually came back to my call.  My practice
is to call everyone, because I can never predict who will hear
me and who won't.

My worst hours were on the first day--20Z produced 1 20m Q and
1 15m Q, and 23Z produced 1 20m Q.  My best hour was the 02Z hour
of the second day with 16 Qs.  I only had five hours with 10 Qs
or better.

This WPX was a real tough slog.  Fortunately, the Attitude of this
Little Station could best be described as stubborn :-).  I was going
to see it through to the bitter end.  I'm now beginning to get an
idea of what battle fatigue might be like.

Thanks to everyone who worked with me to complete our Qs.  It's
really appreciated.  Hope to see you all in the WPX CW.
73, Bob N6WG
The Little Station with Attitude