[3830] WPX CW VE6CNU SOAB(TS) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW VE6CNU SOAB(TS) LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 22:31:23 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: VE6CNU
Operator(s): VE6CNU
Station: VE6CNU

Class: SOAB(TS) LP
QTH: Calgary
Operating Time (hrs): 34

------------
  160:
   80:   60
   40:  181
   20:  454
   15:   64
   10:   10
------------

Club: Alberta Clippers

Comments:

The conditions this year were far worse than last year.  Last year I made a few
less Qs (729) but a lot more prefixes (438) and more points (759k), while doing
a single band low power 20m.  The most fun was Saturday night, running on 40m
and even a good run on 80m with my shunt-fed 40' tower.  20m never really
opened anywhere from my QTH.  On Saturday I was able to work a few big gun
stations in Europe from about 0500-0530Z and from 0700-0800Z.  On Sunday, I
could hear a few of the European big guns with lots of flutter but they
couldn't hear me.  I was finally able to make a few Qs with Europe around
0830-0930Z.  Last year the JAs came in great, but this year I think I worked
about 2 or 3.  South America was also a big disappointment.  Apart from the
usual 3 or 4 stations from Argentina and Brazil, there wasn't much.  Checking
the Real Time MUF map several times during the contest explained why things
were so poor.  The MUF never exceeded 11 MHz!  Thank goodness it is only a
theoretical calculation!

I was hoping that replacing my TH3 with a TH6 would improve my score over last
year's.  Guess I forgot to take propagation into account.  On the other hand,
I'm sure I wouldn't have made this year's score with the old antenna.

Thanks to all those who persevered and pulled me through the noise.  And here's
hoping next year will be much better!

Jerry
VE6CNU