[3830] WPX CW 9M2CNC(G4ZFE) SOAB(TS) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW 9M2CNC(G4ZFE) SOAB(TS) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 00:11:09 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: 9M2CNC
Operator(s): G4ZFE
Station: 9M2RPN

Class: SOAB(TS) HP
QTH: OJ03
Operating Time (hrs): 29

------------
  160:    0
   80:    0
   40:  185
   20:  547
   15:  541
   10:   36
------------

Club: VK Contest Club

Comments:

Station: IC 756 Pro, amplifier 400W
Antennas: Force 12 C3S at 12m, 40m Inverted V at 12m

A difficult contest from here with variable conditions. On Sunday night (local)
20m closed early and 40m was curiously un-useable (absorbtion?, EU M/M were 599
plus Saturday night and then 439 Sunday night). 4 hours of prime time lost with
the main 20m EU runs gone on Sunday.

My new amplifier failed in its first contest after only 6 hours so back to the
UK for repair. I fortunately had a standby amplifer to use.

10m - very surprised to work some EU stations with SFI around 68!

15m - some good EU runs but signals were weak. It too me a few goes to get
serials due to signal strength and QSB so thanks for the re-sends. It does
amuse me that after taking 3 or 4 bites to get a full callsign some stations
only send their serial once knowing that I must be either deaf (must likely) or
signals are weak.

20m - some good runs to Europe on Saturday but Sunday was a disaster. The high
A and K values made the polar path to NA very difficult. I was pleased to work
W1CU (E21EIC op) and K3ZO. As a thread in the CQ-Contest list states Fred is a
real gentlemen and I am always pleased to get a greeting from him when we work
even though he is running stations. The Carribean night (local) path opened as
expected (non-polar) with booming signals. It always make me smile when I am
able to break EU pileups to work Carribean stations (albeit during the 1 or 2
hours that the path is open to here!) over a 11,000 mile path.

40m - very disappointing. I re-built the antenna with new feeder and my RFI
problems on the band have gone (the feedpoint was corroded). The band was very
quiet on Saturday night with excellent signals from EU but I just couldn't get
a run going. I missed the VE6/W6/7 sunrise opening on Saturday evening (local)
but I managed it on Sunday evening (local) but then QRN was then a problem so
very few NA stations worked. However, I was very pleased to not hear the BY
OTHR operating (it was on prior to the contest).

80m - too much rain before the contest to put the antenna up.

A couple of very poor signals from Asia resulted in noisy bands and spurious
signals from time to time.

Thank you for the QSOs and next contest from here will be AA DX CW.

QSL via G4ZFE.

73 de Rich, G4ZFE/9M2CNC/HS0ZGZ