[3830] WPX CW KC3R(LZ4AX) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW KC3R(LZ4AX) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 10:20:03 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KC3R
Operator(s): LZ4AX
Station: K3CR

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: State College, PA
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    7
   80:  156
   40:  800
   20: 1476
   15:  174
   10:    3
------------

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

Much slower than last year, only had a couple of hours above 100. Didn't bother
to check the forecast before the contest and was awarded with a nice T-storm on
Saturday exactly when the rate to EU started climbing up. Initially tried to
play tough but at some point I got enough material to do a detailed analysis on
timing distribution of atmospheric crashes. Following some undiscovered yet law,
they all seem to occur on the same letter/number they did on the previous
refill. During the time off listened to the local forecast on the radio. They
promised even more T-storms on Sunday and I had only 4 hours off time left and
more than 24 hours to go. Luckily, whoever did the forecast didn't graduate
from my department, so we ended up with absolutely no rain/shower or other
atmospheric dirty tricks on Sunday and I got full 36 hours.
Other than that, conditions were not that bad compared to last year. The major
difference was 15. It never actually opened to US here but was somewhat open to
EU. The opening was kinda filtered - there were only loud stations and there
were quite loud. DR1A was +40 at some point here. All of them had problems
hearing US though. I managed to work about half of them, the other half either
gave up on my number or simply didn't hear me at all. P33W was workable on 10
for about 15 minutes here but was too busy running Europe.

Congrats to K1TO for the great score from down there where even the aligators
wear sweaming suits (no speedo's, remember !). My sincere thanks to Jim, WA3FET
for letting me operate his station again.

See you all in IARU and some of you in what some prefer to call "not a contest"
in June !

73, Alex LZ4AX